It's The Brakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Back in the fall the rotors on my Jeep GC became very warpped resulting in the telltale shaky steering wheel when stopping, especially from speed or with the boat. Had the rotors and pads replaced and all was well until about a month ago when the problem came back, gradually getting worse. Friday I took it back to the shop and told my mechanic that the rotors he put on must have been defective and asked if they were still under warranty. He took a look and discovered that the front brakes were perfect but the problem was coming from the rear discs. I argued that the rear brakes wouldn't make the steering wheel shimmy like I was experiancing. He told me that the rear brakes would shake the whole car and I would feel it in the steering wheel. Anyway he replaced the rear rotors and pads and that cured the shimmy in the wheel. Went from the shop to Sam's and had a new set of Goodrich Long Trails installed and now my 136k mile Jeep drives like brand new. What a cure for new truck fever.

One question...the guy at Sam's asked if I wanted the same 8 ply tires that I had on before. I hadn't realized that I had 8 ply's but I have noticed that I've had fewer flats from nails than any other set of tires I've ever had. I asked the guy if there was any reason to go with 4 ply's and he said that the 8 ply's are just heavier and would ride rougher. I've been very happy with the Long Trails, so I decided to stick with them.

Harpo

What'd the new set of tires put you back Harpo?

I'm coming up on 50,000 on my original set of Goodyears on my GC...I'll be ready to replace by this fall...

az

I'm running 6 plies on my Slverado right now and they are tougher tires but, hate the ride:(

So today I'm ordering a set of 275 60R15's to fill the wheel wells up. Don't really need a heavy duty tire unless your towing more than 2,000 lbs.

Also looking at some IAS shocks too Harpo:D

Too bad you guys are out-of-state......My buddy and I own a tire shop here in Ohio and will beat ANYBODY's prices! No middle man:cool:

Tee, you will love the IAS shocks. I have had them on my last three vehicles, good stuff.

The tires were $102 each, with all the taxes and fees and all the total came to $485 for the set. The guy was really pushing a set of Michelins but they were $20+ more each but were warrantied for 80k. With that many miles on the Jeep, I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep the Jeep. The original Goodyears that came on my GC only lasted 49k, the B.F. Goodrichs had 87 k on them and the guy told me I might have got a few more if I had been more diligent about rotating them. He reccomends every 6000 miles with a lot of city driving.

Harpo

The Michelin's are definitely worth more...every penny:D

Thanx Jim....glad to hear somebody likes them:)

I can't imagine getting better service out of a tire than those Long Trails no matter how much they cost.

I probably need to replace my shocks too. What's the story on the IAS shocks? How much $$$'s?

Harpo

I'm also in need of new shocks, ISA, is that the brand name or the type of shocks?

I am thinking about putting air shocks on the back. I am driving an Explorer and the springs are soft in the back.

marvin:rolleyes:

Edelbrock IAS Shocks....go to Edelbrock.com and check em' out:)

They are the latest and greatest....supposeddly.

It's inertia valve opens and closes in milliseconds for a superior ride....

It pretyy much closes over smooth road for good handling and then opens when the road gets rough thus smoothing the ride.

About $79 at most Rod or Pro Shop like Jegs, Stylin' Concepts etc,

Latest posts

Back