Impeller

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Moore

Reaction score
Question for you guys that do your own maintenance. Basboatcentral has a great play by play on changing out the impeller. What I have a concern with is reusing the gasket that goes between the water pump housing and the faceplate. I have ALWAYS replaced a gasket that was seperated from a component, but Sherm doesn't say replace it unless you replace faceplate etc. What do you do?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

I just changed my impeller last weekend, tho it looked a little intimidating at first, the more i read my manual the more i began to have enough confidence in being able to do it myself. When i bought my Impeller, it came with the new plate and both upper and lower gaskets. There are also kits out there that come with the complete housing kit, check yours for wear also. If it has grooves in it, it should be replaced also. I wouldnt bother to change an impeller without replacing both upper and lower gaskets tho....

just add water!!

Mike

My mercury manual says that the impeller should be replaced at a 300hr or 3 year interval (2003 90Hp). I think with that interval I will replace the plate and all gaskets along with the impeller. When I did the impeller on my old 75hp mercury, upon disassembly I found the plate had grooves which sent me back to the shop. I had bought the impeller and gaskets seperately. Next time I'll just get the whole kit (impeller, plate, and gaskets).

Keep in mind too..if you run a lot of "clean" water that does not have a lot of debris or fishing a lot of shallow water where you could pick up sand and silt in the pump or don't runa whole lot of muddy water..you can go a little longer but, would watch your water pressure closely:)

TEE

make sure you do not overtighten the the bolts on top of the housing - use a torque wrench. I replace at least the impeller every year. I replace the whole housing and kit every other year. probably overkill, but I feel good about it.

jd

Latest posts

Back