Illinois guys - help with Powerton Lake

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Cozadd

Reaction score
Well I fished powerton today, no bites but it was good to be out there. Water was 73 at discharge and 55 at the ramp. I fished the warmest part of the lake mostly. I used senko, rattle-trap, small spinner bait, a few crankbaits. This is the 2nd time I've fished it in 3 years. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've fished Powerton a few times, mostly in the summer. Soft plastics seemed to work best for me. Earlier in the day if you want the smallies (summer).

If you like catfish, there's a load of them in there too.

I was fishing around the warmer water mostly because that's were most of the other boats were. I also saw a few of them catching some nice size smallmouth, a few close to 20 inches.

Jeff,

I fish Powerton 2 or 3 times a year. Usually right after it opens because most other lakes are still fairly cool. I usually do pretty well with a Eakins Jig and or a 1/4 0z spinnerbait. I've found that downsizing makes a difference there. Try to target what little structure there is there and hit the points hard. Although I have caught a lot of fish by the discharge, I catch most on the other end and they're usually better fish.

By the way, I hit sangchris on Sunday and had 3 keepers in 2 hrs all on a spinnerbait.

Latest posts

Back