How to instal a transducer in Bildge?

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Guys - I need to instal a new transducer into my bildge, I have searched and read about sanding (what Grit/how smooth??) and expoxying (which Epoxy and how much??) - any tips? I have a Humminbird 798cSi, and just got the Y cable so I can keep my SI transduce mounted high on the transom but will instal my old Dual Beam in the bildge to ensure depth/bottom when on plane.

Suggestions??

Trep, there might be a small area preped by the factory to mount the ducer on, my 882 had an area like that. If not get a partner to hold a really bright spot light under the pad area outside the hull and see if you can find the area that lets the most light through (i read that somewhere). Also try to stay from dead center, there might be some stringers that run through the area. You can also fill the bilge with water, launch the boat and find the best area with the best return, mark it with a grease pencil and mount it there. If your boat came stock with a Hummingbird like mine did, it was already mounted back there, so i knocked it out and put my ducer in it's place. As far as sandpaper, just make it smooth, I used 220 grit, then cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and used slow cure epoxy, it allows the bubbles to dissolve which if they didn't, could hinder performance and you'd have to do the process all over again. And lastly, mount it as far back as you can, the further back the more likely it will stay in the water while at WOT and the nose is high.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Eric - Yes it does have the Humminbird from the factory along with an eagle transducer. I easily popped out the eagle, need to do the same for the humminbird old one (its a tri beam and won't work with my 700 series). The new transducer is wider then the tri-beam so once I pop out the old one, i'll double check the width, sand all of it real good, and hit Ace hardware for a tube of slow cure epoxy.

Thanks!

Having just done this last year, several items come to mind.

Closet to the lowest area, and that is flat. I mounted mine next to the bilge pump.

Clean it all up very well - Dawn and a high pressure hose. Several times.

Let dry completely. And I mean completely.

The transducer that I got from HBird came with the epoxy. If you don't get it with the transducer, have them send you a pack (both parts come in one envelope, with a gizmo that keeps them separated till needed. You absolutely need SLOW CURING epoxy - meaning 24-36 hours or more before it's completely cured.

Follow the instructions, and make sure the transducer is applied FLAT, and not at an angle and that it has made good contact with the epoxy.

Then let it dry for at least 48 hours, maybe more, before using. It will setup, very, very slowly.

Tex

And add some sort of weight on top of the ducer after it's in the epoxy, to ensure it doesn't shift of lift create a void below the puck.

Latest posts

Back