Asking for the Benefit of Your Experience – Transom Transducer Installation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm installing a Humminbird Helix 7 at the console of my 1999 700 LX. I have had the same unit at the bow with a trolling motor transducer for the last two seasons. Installation was easy. This will be my first time installing a transom mounted transducer. The previous unit at the console had a shoot through hull installation, which I did not install. I'm going to continue using that unit for navigation only. The Helix is a G3 Mega SI/DI. If I follow the installation instructions that come with the unit, I think I'll be fine. I've watched many YouTube installation videos as well. I am going to install a Stern Saver first in case I have to adjust the position once installed. My question is, since this is my first time installing a transducer at the transom, is there anything you all can offer as to pitfalls to avoid, tips, tricks, hacks, running wires, control head power considerations, etc., for making sure the positioning and installation of the transducer goes well? I have a plan for mounting the control head already figured out. Thanks in advance.

Mark, I have a 2017, Z18, that I have mounted two differenct transducers, one for a Garmin unit and one for a Lowrance. Both are capable of downscan and sidescan. The transducers are long and fairly heavy. I actually mounted mine directly to the hull so that the can skim the water on the second step of the hull. This means that they don't work while on plane. In our waters here, there are so many obstructions in the water that I wouldn't consider trying to skim the water off the lower hull on back. I have the Atlas Hydraulic Jack plate and moutned the two basically side by side one under each leg of the jack plate. They are both low enough that the Jack plate legs don't push on the transducers in the lowest positon of the jack. The are far enought apart this way that they don't interfer with each other if both in use- I rarely would operate both at the same time, since I have a unit transducer mounted to the bottom of the troll motor as well. All this said, you are probaly aware that the make special glue on blocks to stick to the lower transom area where you can then drill the blocks only to do an install. I opted to simply drill my transom being careful to seal the install holes carefully. I've never had any issue with that over many years of experience but I do apprecaite the pain that some have drilling holes in a boat.. Of course it is important to measure at least twice and drill only once - regardless of what you decide.

Mark, I have a 2017, Z18, that I have mounted two differenct transducers, one for a Garmin unit and one for a Lowrance. Both are capable of downscan and sidescan. The transducers are long and fairly heavy. I actually mounted mine directly to the hull so that the can skim the water on the second step of the hull. This means that they don't work while on plane. In our waters here, there are so many obstructions in the water that I wouldn't consider trying to skim the water off the lower hull on back. I have the Atlas Hydraulic Jack plate and moutned the two basically side by side one under each leg of the jack plate. They are both low enough that the Jack plate legs don't push on the transducers in the lowest positon of the jack. The are far enought apart this way that they don't interfer with each other if both in use- I rarely would operate both at the same time, since I have a unit transducer mounted to the bottom of the troll motor as well. All this said, you are probaly aware that the make special glue on blocks to stick to the lower transom area where you can then drill the blocks only to do an install. I opted to simply drill my transom being careful to seal the install holes carefully. I've never had any issue with that over many years of experience but I do apprecaite the pain that some have drilling holes in a boat.. Of course it is important to measure at least twice and drill only once - regardless of what you decide.
Thank you Larry. Thankfully, I will be using this in very clean water, ie, so floating debris, no stumps, etc. I decided on a Stern Saver mounting block so I can adjust the position of the transducer if necessary without having to re-drill directly into the hull if the original chosen location isn't working out so much. I appreciate the reply.

Latest posts

Back