How to Get A Gorilla Off Your Back....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
My partner (another guide) and I have had a pretty rough time getting it together in our tournament trail (NBC Pro-Series). I have said it all along that I am not a tournament guy because I fish for the love of the sport and I guide people for the sheer joy of watching them catch fish...first....biggest....most....etc. I have always thought that once you did it for money it was a totally different ball game and I was right!! It's one thing to go find fish, it's another to go find 5, 15 inch and over fish for a tournament......consistently....especially on a tough lake like Lake Anna. Clients for the most part do not want to go pound the water for 8+ hours for 5 big fish (well, most don't anyway) and the strategy I use as a guide is to 1st get them on fish and 2nd hope that there are some bigger fish in the mix. That keeps 90% of my clients happy. Most tournament guys that I guide want to "pattern" the fish, they certainly don't want to go stick fish that will weigh in the tournament. I didn't realize how much a disadvantage being a good guide was untill I got talked into doing this trail. My natural instinct to find "client" fish was really hampering us. We would catch 10-20 fish per tournament in the 13-14.5 range and get a couple to weigh. We almost dropped out a couple of times and spur of the moment decided to go ahead and fish. The tournaments average about 60-70 boats with most being 3rd generation lake fishermen, so you have to be on your game every tournament. This last tournament Eric and I went out with no game plan and decided to let the fish tell us where to go and what to use. There were some factors in our favor...1. we are both plastics guys 2. the wind was howling (I just luv the wind) and 3. the spawn was over which uped the ante on skill and made it harder to stumble on fish. This was the result:

052106peterson.jpg

Good enough for 2nd place and a check for $1000. That covers my expenses to date. We are now 19th out of 83 boats (we were never really "out" of the hunt) and stand a good chance of making the Regional (top 30 boats) with 2 tournaments to go.

Sorry to ramble but I had a revelation and that doesn't happen very often!!:lol:

TOXIC

Nice finish Tox.

Sounds like "winging it" was the way to go. Instead of getting stuck in a rut of "should work" or "worked in the past" you just went and GOT-R-DONE.

Steve

Woohoo... Way to go my friend.. I enjoyed reading that and it helped me understand a couple of things. I always wondered why guides on certain lakes, doesn't matter where, would fish out of the money when they fished tourneys on the lakes they guided. You have explained why.. Well, I'm pulling for you big guy. If I can't go out at least I can fish vicariously through you.:)

Uncle Billy

Congrats...

Now you are ready to try it on some "tough" fish... LOL Be careful, you might get the "bug"... After that, it is tough to not think in terms of "weigh-in" fish....

See you in a few weeks buddy.... Really looking forward to seing you again... TJ says he has some new tricks up his sleeve and I believe him... So watch your back...

AZ,...If you've EVER seen Toxic install a keelshield.......you wouldn't say that!!!:eek:

Just be glad you both didn't have to actually witness the fall out.....:blink:

Mac you just ruined my whole day and possibly scarred me for life with that one........ LOL:wacko:

Tox, Very nicely done!!!! ( the fish not the keelshield install)

Mac...paybacks are in order dude!!LOL!!:lol::lol: Let the twins out for a breath of air and they won't ever let me forget it:D:D That should silence all of the speculation that I actually have a pair!!Bwhaaaaaaa...That's a married man joke right there!!

TOXIC

:unsure:..........Nice Job, Tox. I'd like to buy a keelshield from you when you make the trek up here this summer, but I'll install it myself. I insist. :eek:

TJ

TJ,

That install sounds like a "parking lot" job... before dinner at Haase's or Fin n Feather...

Oh how low we have sunk... our fishing trip has turned into a "when do we eat and where"... LOL

Latest posts

Back