Hit a stump at ~ 8 MPH. What to check for damage?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike daniels

Reaction score
Folks,

This is about a 2000 Nitro 175 Sport with 90 ELPTO

I was in some unknown waters and trolling around with the motor trimmed up pretty good since it was shallow (~ 4 ft) I was only going ~ 8 MPH when BAM!! :blink: I heard the prop come out of the water then back in then everything was was back to normal. I was close to my launch so I did a few water manuvers and checked the trim and steering linkage and everything seemed normal.

I got home and checked the transom by grabbing the motor and pulling up and down in it and I couldn't detect any kid of deflection in the transom. I took a close look around where the transom attaches to the boat and couldn't see any cracks.

I played with the trim up and down and it will hold its position with me applying up-down pressure to the skeg. I check the skeg, prop and lower unit housing and not sign of damage. I spun the prop by hand and couldn't detect and binding.

Does the power trim have a "break away" feature of you hit something while in gear?

Anything else I should look for?

Probably unlikely, but you might want to get the prop shaft checked for straightness. If it is out, it will cause the seals to wear out, letting water in the LU.

Bet the skag just rode you up and over and your prop never touched. If it did you engine would more than likely would have died.

fatrap

Did the boat lift up? If your motor didn't die and you only heard the prop spin out of the water...seems like you hit the skeg OR the boat hull. The reason I ask if the boat lifted...I once hit a tree just as I was powering up. Boat bow stared to rise with throttle and suddenly we all got thrown to the left. Luckily I hit it on the bottom of the boat far to one side. The tree was just under water enough as the stern sank for take-off it cause the boat to lean hard and the prop caught air. Almost felt like the boat was going to tip over, but never touched the motor. I got REAL lucky...and found out about a tree I never knew was there! It took me a second to figure out what happened...then I cleaned my shorts and thanked my lucky stars. Could it be possible you hit the hull and it lifted the stern and motor up enough to catch air, but never hit the motor or prop and thats why you see no noticeable damage? Just a thought.

I hate to say it but your prop and skeg hit lot of things at speed that you never even know about. Especially if you run rivers like the Potomac where there is a lot of flotsam and garbage. These motors are tougher than you would think. I have seen them put through the ringer and come out ok. Check it out and run it like you stole it.:lol:

TOXIC

Early on when I had my first Tracker with a 90 ELPTO on it, I fished a lake in SC that was notorius for timber and stumps. I hit several while running both slowly, and probably some where I was clipping along.

I didn't have any real issues that came from that, however one day while running the middle of the lake I lost a blade on my prop. Were the two related, not sure, but I'm guessing that if you whack that aluminum prop enough times, it will cause small stress type fractures that may let go down the line.

If you checked all of the things you say you did, take Toxic's advice. Just run it as normal, and don't worry about it.

Tex

Motor kept going. I was trimmed up some but just starting the increase speed fomr 6MPH to 8 MPH when BAM!!! The motor kept running and the prop (SS) didn't show any signs of damage or "witness marks".

I'll chalk that up to "daym being neighborly in that turn. I don't care if you fishing that bank I'm stayin in the middle." :angry:

I cheated over to once side of the bayou to give plenty of room to some fisherman on the other bank before the hit. Those days are over. :lol:

Latest posts

Back