Need suggestions from members for dealing with boat damage from the motor being trimmed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfolk22

Reaction score
I am buying a 2017 Nitro Z18 from a dealership. The boat is on consignment so they can't do any work to the boat unless the owner and myself agree to the repairs. So far its being sold as is. I'm not how to best describe this area of the boat so I've attached a picture I've pulled from online to explain. It's basically the very rear of the boat and infront the outboard. The outboard hydraulic steering cables, and motor controls are scratching the fiberglass as the motor is being trimmed up and down.

The salesman at the dealership is suggesting putting some sort of rubber pad down to preventing it from getting damages. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of pad that will sustain the weather, water, and of course the motor being trimmed? Or do you have any other suggestions for me? I thought about maybe trying to use some sort of truck bed liner but not sure if it will bond with the fiberglass or be durable. Thanks.

nitro_z18_aft2_2019.jpg

2017 Nitro Z18
Min Kota 80lb Ultrex
Hot Foot
Hummingbird Gen 2 Helix 10 on the bow
Hummingbird Gen 2 Helix 7 at the counsole
3 Blade Stainless Prop

I had the same problem with mine. I actually took one of those Chill Trax pads (you can but one at TH-Marine) and cut a piece large enough to cover that area of the hose. It looks pretty good and most the time you don't even notice that it is there. It will also handle any type of weather since they are made to go on the peddle of your trolling motor. I have seen another boat where they took a piece of a wet suit and attached it to that hose that covers the cables.

Hope this helps.

After reading your post, I went out to check for damage on my Z-17. Sure enough scratches are beginning to appear, as you described. While looking through my shop for ideas on how to combat this in the future, I ran across a new stick of pipe wrap. I cut about 2 feet and zip tied it around my cable bundle in places where the zip ties would not add to the scratches. It appears it is going to work fine, but time will tell.

My Z20 has done the same thing. I rubbed the scratches out with fine rubbing compound, good as new. Then as Bassn Man mentioned the pipe wrap. There are a couple of different types of wrap. Some made of a foam material but there is some that is similar to wetsuit material, very stretchy neoprene type. I am using this type about a foot long wrapped around the flex conduit and it has an adhesive that will hold it together and I used wide zip ties on each end. Overly satisfied, no more scratches.

Al

My 640LX had the same issues. Found a sheet of clear sticky back flexable plastic
Kind of like the automotive clear bras

Back