Hey Bob B........a quicky for ya..

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Bob,...I just called a local Merc dealer 1 mile from my house, and he has the 2 voltage regulators i need. (883072T). I'm picking them up tonite after work,....my question to you is this: Is this install something I can do myself?? I have a great tool set (both Standard and Metric) and I'm mechanically inclined when I want to be!!

I'll unhook the Negative batt cable to the cranking batt first, then take pix's of the existing hookups with my digital camera for reference. If I'm not mistaken, based on pix's of the regulators themselves, this looks like it's merely a plug-n-play (thnx Mini,..LOL) operation. Is this something that I can do, or does a certified Merc. mechanic have to do any circuit testing, or anything like that with specialized instruments during or after installation?? Just curious,...and looking to save a few bucks in "labor" since the 2 reg's cost $300.00!!:blink:

I'll follow your advice to the letter!!!..Thanks!:wub:

Mac:cool:

You can certainly do it yourself, and they are in fact "plug-in-play". Be sure to make sure the grounds {black} are clean and tight, and the reg's themselves are bolted to a clean surface as well. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll walk you through it...:)

Oh....and lest I forget.....the TWO tests I would perform would be an actual run test to check voltage output at the battery...should be 13.8-14.2 at just above idle. The other.....make sure your Tach is reading....:)

OK...I put them on this p.m. as soon as I got home. However,..I noticed the original VR's that I removed, did NOT have black ground wires,..and the 2 new one's do. I made all the connections,...everything matched up, but the 2 black grounds (one on each VR) are not bolted down...I just band-tied them in with the other wires. Where do you recommend I ground them to?? The aluminum plate that fastens to the studs infront of the VR's?? There's a ground already there on the bottom of the plate from an engine harness that I could fasten the lower VR ground to,....and I could fasten the top VR ground to a top stud,...would that work??;)

Try to attach to a plate stud, in between it and the block. A little dab of liquid electrical tape after it's tight is a good idea....;)

PERFECT!! Thank you SOOO much!! I'm really glad you're still on-line!! It was an EASY job,.......I just need to go attach the 2 grounds and I'm ready to water test it!!:wub:

Thanks bob...i owe ya!

To be truthful, I think alot of us owe bob, I know I do for a fact. He is always there to help and has saved me alot of money along with sharing his knowledge.

Thanks

No kidding,.....

Hey Bob,...by the way,...When I was talking to the mechanic at the dealer y'day, I was telling him about the "hesitation" I would occasionally feel at WOT and asked him if it was due to bad voltage regulators, and he asked me, "How many RPM's are you running when you get that sensation?" and I said,.."6000 right on the money" and he told me,..."What you're feeling is the rev limiter kicking in,..you're probably actually getting 6100-6200+ RPM's and the rev limiters are kicking in, pulling you back to 6000,.....you're engine is running strong,....exactly the way it should,..you don't have any problems as far as that goes,...you could re-prop it up to a 24P (I have a 23 on there now) but you deffinitely need to change those regulators..your original ones WILL burn up on you eventually!" I thought that made perfect sense...is that a likely scenerio??

MMMMMMaybe. The ECU on that engine will richen the mixture to the point of rpm restriction. You really can't feel it "kick-in". I would leave your prop alone, and let it spin. The 2.5 litre engines like revs.....

Of course you could always try a larger prop. If your tach is off per say, and you are more underpropped than you realize, the performance gain would be "noticeable". ;)

HHhmm,...intriguing!!...LOL I have a Quicksilver Laser 2 23P on it now (48 16548 A41).

I'm not exactly sure of the dia., but I "think" it's 13.75?? So you're recommending maybe a 14x23P ?

Y'know,..on 2nd thought,..maybe I'll just leave it alone for now...i'm hitting 6000RPM's and the boat is completely empty as it sits now,....by the time I add my gear and a fatass buddy,..the extra weight is going to have a dramatic affect on it anyway,...si?:eek:

Put it this way Tox,.....the ONLY person who fishes with me that doesn't "qualify" as a "fatass buddy" would be Kath, and she doesn't fish much....ahahahhahhahah....so get in,..sit down,....shut up...and hold on!! :lol::lol::wub:

I think I am going to need a snorkel and a mask!!!! :)

LOL...When I stand up front with you Mini,..we cast a shadow big enough to drop the water temp 3 degrees,.....makes the fishin' better!! LOL!!:rolleyes::cool:

You may want to get another prop when we go together....I think a 21" pitch is in order :)

Back