Question for Bob B......Voltage Regulator's

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Bob,....I just bought a 1994 Merc 150 EFi (The 184 Champion attached to it was free!!..)

and had it checked out by my mechanic buddy up here in MI. He checked the cylinder pressure (110psi in all 6), checked the EFI system (AOK),..cleaned and examined all engine filters (AOK) and did the lower unit pressure check...AOK. He told me that I should get 2 new voltage regulators because the one's on there are still the original ones (clear resin over the circuit boards) and they're eventually going to catch on fire!! :blink: He pointed out on one of them where it was already turning the resin a "tea colored brown" from heat. He said I need to change them to the black resin one's. He also told me to get them on-line, since they're much cheaper that way vs. paying dealer prices. He will install them for me once I have them. Should I stick with Mercury parts or is there a common and GOOD aftermarket brand that will work,..and what is a fair price for 2 voltage regulators for this motor? (BTW,...my mechanic said this motor has been extremely well cared for and he hasn't seen one that age, that looked that good, in a LOOONG time.) I still have not started the motor yet,..the weather has been really chitty and I hope to get out this week. I'm assuming that since the motor is already 17 years old, I can run it for awhile longer with the original reg's still in it....correct?? I want to get them changed ASAP,..but I'm assuming it's not mission critical before I use it this spring,..correct??

Thanks for the advice,..really glad you're back!!

Mac

champ4.jpg

The regs should be OK. Take apart the connections in question and clean them. BE SURE to make sure the black ground leads have a clean, tight connection. Remove the regs, and clean up where they bolt on to the block. The most common failure for the reg's is poor connections...up to and including the battery. The 883072T retail price is $173.92, with them discounted, about $150. Stick with OEM. I will not use aftermarket pieces during a repair. Merc stuff carries a one-year warranty and if IT causes something else to go bad, it's covered as well. ;) I would still replace them...just because, when you get a chance.

Latest posts

Back