Help! Should I buy the boat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an oppty to purchase a 98 Nitro 896 Savage DC with a 99 Merc 200EFI.

The owner says there are a few stress cracks and minor cosmetic scratches otherwise everything is mint for a 98 boat.

#1) Should I be worried that I am looking at a Nitro? Is their quality as bad as their reputation?

#2) I am looking for an economical starter tournament boat for bigger lakes. For around 12k... Am I getting a good value understanding that I am not buying a 39,000 boat?

#3) Should I be worried about the "stress cracks" and how should I find out if they are bad enough to be worried about?

#4) Any experience with this model and date out there?

I am fishing as co-angler in large tournaments and upcoming Everstart and working hard to become a pro in next 3 yrs. I have a tin boat now and need something stable and reliable to get me on the water for more than a day before each tournament.

I would keep this boat for 2-3 seasons before becoming pro and purchasing a new boat for tournament use.

Thanks very much for all your feedback.

The 896 in my opinion is one of the best hulls Nitro ever made. Now granted, I have not ridden in a 901, but have ridden in a couple 929's. For a 19+ foot boat, the 896 is very fast and stable. As for the cracks, if they are just gel coat cracks, most boats get them with time. If they are not integral, the boat is fine. At 12k, the boat is priced appropriately if fully equipped. As for quality, I will let others answer your question. Personally, I went to Ranger, but have seen many Nitros that held up if treated properly.

Which Everstarts are you fishing?

Get the boat if you like it. The 896 is one of the best hulls made period, not just for Nitro.

Boy are you gonna start some stuff about glass vs. tin here....lol

BTW isnt that debate getting old?

Mini

There is something about a 16' tin boat with a 60 merc that kinda restricts me from learning more water than the 100 yards around the launch ramp.

I also belong to a small boat (tin) bass club, so I've got first hand experience risking my life in a 16 and 17' tracker on a typical Nebraska day with 20+ mile/hr winds. It was as secure as fishing outta a piece of aluminum foil.

Thanks for the continued feedback...there is so much BS out there about Nitro... I was literally running scared!

Trust me, I too would love to jump into a new Ranger but I don't have 40k to invest (yet)... so I thought I would start learning with something economical and reasonable.

Thanks again.

Marvin

You can get into a used Ranger for far less than that. Hate to say it, but look at BFHP. Or do a Google search. This way you can see the going rates for ALL brands and models.

Where are you in Nebraska? I know some people around who have fished out of Nitros including myself and the weatherman in Omaha... Jim Flowers. Most the stuff your hear about Nitros is stuff with the dealers. I have a 17 footer and its great. I live across the River in Iowa come and look at it, its a 93 and looks great. I've seen many people abuse boats so bad it's a mircle they don't have more problems than they do. If it's gonna bug you to buy it hold out for one that won't and good luck on a used boat being free of some minor details. Good luck

fatrap

If your fishing in 20+ Mph wind maybe consider a Boston whaler.. LOL or a Lund. My buddy and I fish Sebago lake (the big bowl) in ME if the wind pick's up over 15+ miles it won't matter if you have a tin or a glass boat your going to get buried period... At that point there is only one thing to do call it a day and get home safely. Some time I fish out of a tracker 14 with a 25 it's get rough but the V helps out alot..

X

I had an 896 with a 200EFI and it was greased lightening...very fast!! The stress cracks are probably around the rod lockers where it meets the consoles and maybe in the rear corners on the cap.....if they look like hairs in the clear coat then they're cosmetic,..but if they're wide enough to get a fingernail down into...then they could be more serious. Be sure to examine the transom closely too.......you don't want ANY cracks there!! Be sure to get on your back and crawl under the boat too...check the hull for deep gouges, splits or any other kind of impact damage. Also look for differences in the shade or color of the gelcoat...indicating a past repair....ask a TON of questions....if you don't like the answers...keep looking. It's buyer beware with an older boat,..you won't get ANY warranty unless it's transferable or you pay for an extended warranty on your own (VERY $$$$).....so cover your hiney by getting as much info as possible BEFORE you hand over the benjamins!!!!

That's a good hull though,......it'll get the job done!!

I had a new '96 savage 896, then bought a new '98 896, then traded it for a new '01 901, I regreted the trade to the 901 every day I fished for the next 10 months. IMO the 896 is the best tournament boat ever built. After only 10 months w/a new 901 I got out from under it (nothing wrong w/the boat just didn't like it, not near the fishability as the 896). I was heart broken when they discontinued the 896, but was talked into an 898 which I was told would be the replacement for the 896. Was kinda leary, 'cause I was also talked into the 901. But I got to hand it to Nitro as far as the best fishing boat I have ever been in, it is this 898, which is just an improved modified version of an 896. Same great fishability, gets up on pad and runs like a scalded ape, and has a lot more fisherman friendly storage. You'll love the 896. KENNY

NE,

I have an 2001 896. Great boat. No stress cracks (knock on wood) and I totally liek it. I have an 150, bigger motor would be nice but int he overill range. It fishes great, handle great, trailers great and it is just..well great :)

Carlos

Can you tell I like the boat. Also stayed in my budget for the boat. Well belopw 20k when I bought it last year.

I had a '96 896 w/a 200 EFI and it was fast (w/o jackplate - @ 75 on gps by myself). It was a great boat. I went to a Ranger, which is a more solid boat (in my opinion), but the '896 was just as fishable and I really liked it.

Latest posts

Back