Help me pick a FishFinder!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Justice

Reaction score
Ok guys, I need some help.. My dad keeps asking me what I want for Christmas, so I decided on a Fishfinder.. Since we've got several fishing trips planned w/ my boat, he doesn't have much of a problem with that.. :)

The price range is $150+/-, so help me out and gimme some suggestions. What would you guys go with in that range??

Thanks!

I've got both the Humminbird and Eagle on mine, the Eagle is WAY superior at that price point. Checked on BPS online they have 2 under 150. If you go 150 - 200 (or look for sales) the Garmin and Lorwrance lower priced units come into play.

I've had no problems with my Eagle Strata 128.

Get the Garmin 160 (available for about $199.00 at BPS). It's much better than the HBirds (took one off). Really a nice unit.

If he is limited at $150.00, offer to pony up the other $50.00.

Tex

I echo what Tex says..I have the Strata and the Garmin...The Garmin 160 is MUCH better for $50 more. I use the Strata to mark the bottom while behind the console (to know what depth Iam running at. Both are good....Garmin is better.

Donnie

If you can get him to drop $200, Cabelas is selling Lowrance X71's for that amount.

Another fan of the Garmin 160. Definitely work it out with him so you can get this unit. It's very easy to use and works great. You won't be disappointed.

Justin A.

I agree with Jeffry...go for the X71. I have the Eagle FM 160 and I owned a Garmin 240. The Garmin was OK but I like the Eagle/Lowrance better, feel the display is better. My 2 cents...

Corey

Okay, first, I've heard that Galyen's in Texas (they're a chain) has the 160 for $149. Can't verify that though.

Second, I'll agree with Corey on the Lowrance having a better display than the Garmin (of equal resolution). The Garmin is a FINE product though.

Lowrance owns Eagle. You can get the same (minus a feature or two) Eagle for much less than a Lowrance.

However, the BEST DEAL right now is the Garmin x-91 for $299 with a free RAM mount from www.cabelas.com. BPS's regular price is $449. BUT, I know that's out of the range you suggested. Get a 160x160 resolution Eagle, Garmin, or Lowrance and you'll have the right pricing AND a great unit.

Whatever you do, TURN THE FISH SIGNALS OFF!

Go with the garmin. I have both a garmin and the bird and to me the garmin is much better.

Lowrance or Eagle....I think the Eagle Fish Easy II would be the one you want. I know last year they were selling them for about 140 bux in the spring. They may have discontinued tehm though.

Mini
http://www.lowrance.com

One point to factor in, if you want to go with the Eagle's - the Eagle brand (de-featured Lowrance for the most part), do not remember custom settings once the power has been turned off - I believe. Every time you power it up, you have to re-set the settings that you want. Lowrance and Garmin 'remember' the settings.

Tex

I really like my Garmin 160 but really wish Wally world had had the 240 because I would prefer higher resolution. I got pampered by Buzz's X-15. That thing is a TV!!! But like Mini said, Lowrance or Garmin is the way to go. It's annoying resetting your options every time. Plus lowrance had awesome customer service as does Garmin. They sent me a new TM ducer free to replace my transom mount and just trusted me to send the transom ducer back. They did it ASAP as I had a tourney and the same guy followed the whole thing cradle to grave and e-maile to be sure I got it. THAT is service. Hats off to Garmin. Plus Buzz got excellent service from Lowrance when we ran into gliches with the 15. They were all over it and at no charge. That's what I expect from a quality company and both of them deliver it.

Ok guys, sounds like pretty much everyone is suggesting the Garmin 160.. I'll see if I can get him to up the amount to $200, or if he'll let me chip in on it..

If not, I'll prolly end up getting either the Eagle Fish Easy 2 or the Lowrance X-51.. Mini suggeste the Fish Easy 2, but has anyone used the X-51?? Just curious..

Tim S -- Thanks for the tip on the reconditioned 160 at Cabelas.. That's definitely another option. Or, maybe asking for a re-mfr'd one will make my dad feel bad and he'll just go ahead and spend the bucks.. LOL!

If you can do it...get the x51. I have used all of the Lowrance products and the x51 is a nice unit. I installed three of them for friends last year.

Mini

I just put the x-51 on my boat late this past summer and I really like this unit for no more money than what it cost me. It also came with a free ram mount at the time(not a big factor to me). My firend liked it so much that he went and ordered one for his boat the same day he went out in mine.

Tim

Tell your Dad that everyone suggested the Garmin 240 (another $100.00), but that the 160 is available for $199.00. That should do it.

Tex

Garmin 160 hands down.I have owned an Eagle and a hummingbird and the Garmin is by far the best. I also own a Garmin GPS and love it.

Latest posts

Back