HELP Dealer screws through my new hull!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Perry

Reaction score
I just picked my new Z-7 up last week. Fished one tournament and had it out a couple of more times for breakin of my motor. I put the boat on the trailer and I inspect the bottom of the hull to see how many marks I have put on it. I look on the passenger side under where the rod box is and find two screws protruding from the hull about a 1/4 of inch. Apparently the genius that put my rod organizer in used some screws that were a mile long and screwed through the rod box and out of the bottom of the hull. I called Tracker and they said it was up to the dealer to do something about it. I just payed 24K for this thing and now I have a damaged hull. Now the dealer is going to have it fixed by the time I get home from work. Now heres the deal, I'm getting the vibe that they are gonna say here you go have a nice day and oh by the way we are real sorry that we put two holes in your brand new boat. What would you do? I think they should at least make it right by offering credit to their store or some kind of free stuff to make up for what they did. Anyone, please give me feed back cause I got a week before I talk to the owner. Thanks

Only had it one week.....I would seriously consider giving that boat back to them in exchange for a new one (You break it, you bought it). May seem unrealistic, but 24K for a boat is a lot to accept one that now has two holes in the hull. I am sure it can be repaired, but it will never be "new" and and complete again. You may never have issues with it in the future or you may have problems in the future from those holes. That's a tough one. If you do decide on repairs, it should be off the quality that you cannot tell there were ever holes there, not just some stuff squeezed into the holes to plug em. Best of luck

JP

I would ask the owner if I could watch him FIRE the the turd that put the screws in the hull of my brand new boat and then ask him if I could watch him FIRE the Q.A tech that should have seen the problem before it left the shop. Anymore, I dont leave any shop without checking their work before I leave. By all means, get what you can get from this dealer and then just leave him by the wayside.. If you dont, then everytime you have to have something done with your boat, you wont be able to sleep at night due to wondering what they are putting screws into this time..:wacko:

My .02

I took a 3 week old 911 in to have the battery charger replaced under warranty. Picked the bot up and went to the lake. It wouldn't come off the trailer. Yep....screwed the charger through the hull into the trailer bunk.

They fixed it. Its really not that big of a deal and should not effect your hull structure at all.

It is unfortunate that this incident occurred but mistakes do happen, often involving the best of mechanics. I am not trying to belittle what has happened especially with this being a brand new boat and I can only imagine how you felt when you discovered those screws protruding out of your hull but lets look at the facts, the damage should be easily repairable, is very minor in nature, should not weaken the structural integrity of the hull in any way and is apparently in an area that is not noticeable and likely to be scratched or scuffed by stumps, rocks or other objects during the normal use of the boat. The main thing is that the dealer properly repairs the damage, but you have had to make no less than 2 trips to the dealer to drop off and pick up your boat to have it repaired and I do agree that it would not be unreasonable to ask for some sort of merchandise or credit for future service to make you feel have have been fully compensated. Good luck and I hope things are resolved to your complete satisfaction.

Concentrate on getting your boat fixed right and don't concern yourself as much with the freebies you may feel you deserve. Mistakes happen. Get it fixed right, be professional in your dealings with them, and things will work out fine. If it were my shop - first, it wouldn't have happened... But if it did, I'd remember the professional customer and take extra care of them in the future. If they were a "I demand something for my trouble" customer, they might get what they want at the time, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them in the future. After all... They got what they felt they were "owed" up front - all at once. Be the more professional person. It almost always works out better.

All the best,

Glenn

JP,

As this is probably the most frustrating thing you can imagine at this point. It's not really that big of a deal to repair.

They should be happy to repair the two holes and then match the gelcote. It will take them a couples of days of wet sanding to get it to match completely, unless you have a white hull. Then it will be a lot easier for them.

i actually did the same thing to my brand new 882 in 2003. I'm sure you can imagine the anger if you did it yourself.

My dealer fixed mine at no charge to me, they did however demand that i give them my cordless drill before i could pick the boat up!

And yes, they still bust my ass every time they see me 8 yrs later.

GregD

Yeah its pretty frustating and everyone I have talk to around my area is saying to stand my ground and lay the hammer to them. I'm usually not that guy to show his butt.As far as the hull its going to take a little work since the bottom hull is Black. They did guarntee that it would look like new. I think I should at least get a guarantee that they will stand behind the work that was done and if any future complications from that will be on them.

Whatever they say, make them put it in writing.

And mini, I just about spit coffee on the keyboard when I read that, screwed the boat to the bunks, sad, but funny.

Just make sure you get that in writing. But TritonGlenn is right, attitude is everything. You want your boat fixed and fixed right. Being on the service side of the auto bussiness. You can demand and may get some freebies. But you will pay for them in the long run.

BF

As everyone said that is an easy repair, make them match to your satisfaction. If you go out often you are going to get some bumps, and getting the repair warranty in writing would not hurt.

I agree with the suggestion(s) made on concentrating on getting it repaired correctly, and forming a good relationship with the firm/owner. Remember, the person that was installing this is probably making $8-10 an hour at best, so the experience and care that you and I would put into doing this, is likely not there with the installer. Should be, and they should have the proper supervision and guidance - but . . . .

It is what it is.

The boat over time will have other things happen to it, that will likely be more serious than that. Enjoy the boat, and as long as it is repaired properly - just go fishing!

Tex

I'm with Mini. They fix it, you laugh about it over a beer. Folks have survived bigger holes and their repairs.

By the way, car dealers fix transport damage in the body shop all the time.

Well I have kind of chilled out about it since I have been at work for a while. I am just ready to get it back on the water and do some fishing.

Latest posts

Back