Headin out, senkos in hand!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
This weekend I'm planning on fishing water I've never fished before or at least areas near my spots I've never fished before and I'm doing with baits I've never fished in those areas before.

I'm heading out with only senkos and c-rigs. I know how to use both and have been successful with them, but cannot say I have a commanding knowledge of them or have "mastered" them. I have cashed checks with senkos before, but my intent this weekend is to see just how far you can push their versatility. I'm going into the slop with them and trying for BIG largemouth that I know are there but reluctant. I'm going DEEP with them for ledge smallies to see how they perform in 30+ feet of water. And I'm trying some funky colors.

And then I'm gonna drag a c-rig ALL over the stinkin lake because that's one bait I do NOT have enough confidence in to use in a tourney regularly.

How about anyone else. Whatcha upta dis weekend??? And of course there's the parade and fireworks. I might even take the wife out in the boat to watch the fireworks and make some of our own!!! :wub:

I've never used a C-rig and have no idea how to even begin using one. I do like my Senkos though. We don't have anything around here even near 30' deep. Well, the Chesapeake Bay but I rarely fish there. Most, if not all of the lakes I fish, are about 10' deep at the most.

Good Luck.

Bill

We have LOTS of deep water up here. And that's where the big boys go and hide in the summer from the heat and the pressure.

I was never much for c-riggin until I kept getting my butt kicked in tough tourneys by guys who would throw them. It does produce under the right conditions. I don't think it will haul huge sacks in, but in those tough tourneys when bites are tough to come by, I think the c-rig is another semi-finesse presentation that they just can't resist. I have caught fish on it, but just not enough to really understand the technique. I like to be versatile and have a lot of ammo so I need to add that bullet!

Rob,

Wow...this is scarry. My name is Rob also and I was thinking of doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I have had very little success fishing deep; therefore, I rarely do it. On the flip side...I rarely do it so I have very little success. If I've confused you, I'm sorry. My point is it's hard to be good at something if you don't dedicate the time. Realizing I did need to dedicate some time to it, I did a little research on the subject. I found a couple great articles on technique and mental prepartion on the net. One article was very uplifting and I'll post a link if I can find it again. It was a story of someone who was determined to find and catch fish deep. He explained how he went four days without a bite to find a 20 lb sac at the end of the rainbow. It's inspired me to fish deep and to keep fishing deep in the summer months until I get better at it. You have to try different things to have different results!

Rob (SISKO)

okay, I'll bite. I've been away from fishing for a long time so what is a c-rig and hw do you use it. Don't laugh to loud now. <G>

Robay,

I don't think you can slow down enough to fish a senko deep!!:rolleyes: That's exactly what I did yesterday. My river pattern went out the window with rain and muddy water. That is one of the great things about Lake Anna. You just keep heading downlake till the water clears. I went to midlake area and the water was in the 80's so I knew they were going to be deep. I found steep drops close to shore and cast the senko nearly on the bank. I let them inch their way down the drop until I got to the depthe they were suspended in. Put a 4 and a 5lb greenies in the boat at the end of the day. The other deep water rig I use ia a dropshot (thanks Mini:p). Personally this year I need to throw more J&P. I've already been practicing with my tubes getting ready for Wisconsin and Michigan. I need to throw more cranks and spinners, I just can't make myself do it, I am a plastics guy first and foremost.

jdj- a c-rig (Carolina rig) is usually a barrel sinker then a bead then a swivel and then a leader of 6-12 inches (some do up to 2 feet) then your hook and lizzard.

TOXIC

Thanks Toxic, I used to know that. <G> I ought some senkos yesterday so I'll get them rigged up and try them out this weekend with the grandkids.

"And then I'm gonna drag a c-rig ALL over the stinkin lake"

Rob, I fish a brand-x copy of a senko 98% of the time, and have done so for four years now. I have averaged well over a thousand bass a season ((8 months here in Maine). Not trying to brag, but to give your my experiences and numbers to back up my statement. I VERY SELDOM get a hit on one that is moving. If it don't get hit on the fall.....it don't get hit! Once in a while a dink will hit it moving, but never a quality fish. Got to be a line watcher and hope for flat water so you can see what the line is doing.

Good luck on your experimenting.

Toxic - Went out Wednesday night and back to Blount's. Didn't do a bit of good. Came back down and decided to go into my own backyard (so to speak). Fished the cold side dike 2 and just went through Senko after Senko. I kept taking pictures with the phone-camera and stopped taking them after 12 decent bass (2-3 pounds). This was about 8 pm and I just got plain tired of boating them (did I say that??????). Kept throwing them right up next to the dike and letting them slide into deeper water (12-18 feet). They were fighting over those Senko's. (LOL).

The past two weeks I have gone fishing in the early monring (0 dark early) and had some moderate success but nothing like waiting until the early evening by going out around 6 pm and stating until 9. Gotta love it!

When KB gets back we will try and set up a few dates in August for our get together.

I really like to hear Lake Anna producing like that!! My observation has always been that it is more of a "sunset" lake than a "sunrise" lake. Next time throw some topwaters perpendicular with the rip-rap at dusk.........and hang on!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back