Hard to get 5500 RPM, Bob?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Moorman

Reaction score
Im sure this is a prop question but listed it in Motor Category, Just wondering if I should even bother with it at all. The stock prop that came with my 150 Pro XS is a Tempest Plus. It's still in the break in a little but when I open it up for about 10 sec or so I can't get past 5250 to 5400. Top speed (one person)60 maybe 61 on (GPS)and then I back off. Live well full , two people and loaded I'm getting about 58 to 59 The speed seems right from what others have said though. So if I'm getting the right speed do I need to be up in the higher PRM range even? 5250 is just getting in there with a loaded boat but it is still making the range , right? And Mercury says they hit 57.8 MPH with the XS. It seems to be all right.

I'm looking for the " don't change a thing" answer LOL!! I like those answers :lol:

Just thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Don.

You really want to be aiming for the higher end of the rpm range while at WOT. should be trying to hit about 5800. What size prop are you running?from the info given it almost sounds like you are over propped or the motor needs to come up. Need more info though like prop pitch, boat, water pressure at WOT, and engine height.

It says 24p on the prop. Water pressure I had not thought about a certain number to remember. I would have to go out again to see. Engine hight? I guess I will look up , How to on-line. It's a Z7 2011, The way my boat came to me maybe its the wrong prop? They said it had to be orderd me a new one and gave me a Laser (loaner), smaller blade but 4 of them. They said it wont hurt a few times out during break in. I got the Tempest about 3rd or 4th time out.

Don't forget that if you are still in your motor's break in period you will not be able to reach full RPM's. It's computer controlled. Get it all the way through break-in before you go playing with props and engine height.

TOXIC

+1 on what Tox said. Be sure to break it in correctly. The 24 Tempest is the right prop. I have a z7 also but with a 200. Other guys are running the 24 too. Will probably just take some dialing in.

Do you have a jackplate? With a jackplate it is easy to adjust motor height.

Will do Toxic sir, Thank you! That would be it at this time then. Will repost back after my 20 hour service.

And no jack plate. I'm one that likes it simple, Not into super fast and lots of gadgets. Did without then for to many years :lol:. I don't need to push it and don't need to make it go as fast as it can but want to make sure im running it right. Been going back and forth from 4500 to 3000 every trip. I touched full a few times just for a few seconds and back off. It sure gets a real nice hummm to it at 4500, past that it wants to open up.

Thanks again guys!

Yup, it sounds ok to me. Leave well enough alone until you have at least 50 hours logged. Don't forget, the last few MPH and rpm will be had at the extreme trim setting, some wide-open water, and "white knuckles"....;)

If something doesn't click, and you don't feel it's performing the way it should, let me know......;)

It wont trim up anymore anyway.

Also I find it funny how you look on-line for the proper break in procedure and it tells you to look in your Owners book LMAO!! However I went on-line because the book says very little. In the Book it says The extra oil is done in about 10 hours. It talks about the 1st hour, then the next 3 hours and THATS IT! So ..... what is it? Who is right? I hear I have a 20 hour break-in check from the dealer BPS, I guess I will know then?. You are saying 50 hours? I have heard all kinds of ideas on hours so whats right because my Owners book sucks only one and 1/2 pages on brake-in and NOTHING of total hours. So what's up with that kind of guessing game?:unsure: LMAO!

In my experience with the 2.5 litre Mercs, they really start to perform after about 50 hours run time....I did not imply that "BREAK-IN" takes that long {by the book}. It used to be easy with conventional 2-cycles when citing manufacturer break-in policy. Double oil, 10 hours varying throttle position, then go and USE IT. Now, almost each engine has it's own break-in procedure. Follow your owners manual to the letter. In the event of malfunction, the CDS will pick-up hours logged and more importantly HOW. From idle to wide-open-throttle Mother Merc knows. Even a simple neutral over-rev if you hear a beep, gets logged. Do it a couple times and it gets logged as "abuse". ;)

Ton of Thanks BOB! I mean at 30 G's I would go 50 hours if it would help it last :lol:

Tell me this, from your years of Mercs does it matter if you run your break in hours in 4 long trips or 30 short ones? Is it just a matter of total?

Break-in topics are probably the most talked about in any motorsport field. There are as many "how-to's" and opinions as Obama has promises. {Did I say that?}. Remember, some of the verbiage has to do with the legal dept and they want to be sure the operator is as familiar as possible with the equipment before turning you loose, and, as such write the procedure with the engineers and come up with a "compromise"....and not necessarily the best procedure for the engines. Take for example motorcycles. Tires, brakes, suspension have to scrub in, wear in, and work in to give you the traction, braking power, and function necessary to be safe. Turn loose one of the latest 1000cc rockets {that'll do 100mph in FIRST GEAR}, without some form of scare tactic with regard to break-in...and it quickly turns into a zip-splat scenario.

Having said that, I am a firm believer in heat cycling. Bring it up to temp, follow the guidelines set forth in your book, shut it down, let it cool....and start the process over again. Metals expand, contract, and the molecules eventually find a home, in rods, rings, cylinder walls, bearings, etc. So in answer to your question, 30 short trips would be better, IMHO. ;)

Thats great, Thank you again sir.I think I will be a few more trips then 30 so I feel better about that now. Thanks for your time.

Same deal with my 2011 z7 150 pro xs ran all summer wont go past 5400 6 inch jackplate tried all different adjustments.Going to a 23p next year or a custom prop.I have a buddy with the same setup and he's got the same rpm as me.

Bob B,

Is Mother Merc worldwide? That is, I'm in Australia and just had mine serviced for it's first 20 hours and the guys checked the hours and for any fault codes. Told me everything was fine but I'm wondering with a serial number can you actully look and see it's dirty past?

thanks

Your a bloody legend Bob!

Serial 1B827683 115 Opti Pro

If it's not an inconvenience and you can find time I would love to know what the screen shows?

many thanks

So Bob, if I'm reading this correctly, with my engine's serial # I can find out all the work/problems that my motor has had? Wow... did not know that. That's good stuff.

All "warranty" work......as long as the dealer filed a claim. :cool:

Latest posts

Back