Great American fisherman

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Does anyone know were I can get a copy of that song that is played at the beginning of Roland Martin's fishin show.

My two boys sing it all the time when we go fishing and it drives my wife crazy so I need to get the whole song.

It goes like this-

He's a geat American fisherman

He fishes anywhere

anywheres theres water you know he will be there

he is like a gypsy

mighty hard to hold

he is a great American fisherman... etc.

SevenPin,

Why didn't I think of that!

Cool it works

oops I better turn down the volume I'm at work

Thanks

It actually should go like this. . .

He's the geat American fisherman

He promotes products anywhere

Anywhere theres endorsements, you know he will be there.

He is like a carnival shill,

Mighty hard to pin down.

He's the great American fisherman,

He'll endorse anything for money.

I'll say this for him. He's absoultely shameless in the procducts that he promotes. And the man can fish.

:)

Tex

That's true he does make Bill Dance look like Ralph Nader but I do enjoy watching him and listening to his BS. Sooooon

Harpo

Not only does he catch fish, every one's a five pounder, even if it's only 10" long :).

not everyone is a five pounder, mike...

Everyone is a "big giant bass"!!!!!!!

Roland lost me as a fan when he refused to take the Make a Wish boy on a fishing trip and then blamed his staff for not giving him the message.

I think Orlando Wilson took the boy who died shortly after the trip.

A fellow teacher friend of mine was on his dream fishing trip in Fla. and ran into him and his filming crew on Lake Okeechobee, he was less than congienal. Maybe a bad day for Roland.

I'd be very happy to find out I'm wrong as I used to watch him all the time.

fatrap

I notice that Dale Hollow is even in Rolands vocabulary....somethin' else besides...............

SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN! BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGE GIANT FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatrap, sorry to tell you, that is how he is. I don't like him even a little. He has a well earned reputation in the FLW as being a jerk.

And yes, he can catch fish....especially when somebody ELSE finds them for him and does all his prefishing. The little things behind the scenes you don't hear about without the right connections.

He royally screwed some clients of a fellow guide up here on Champlain for his BASS win in '97. He has been "black listed" on Champlain and won't get any more help around here, I can promise you that.

FatRap/Rob,

I agree with you both. I watch his show on occasion (when I'm home in time), but he is not a favorite of mine either for some of the same reasons. The deal with the make-a-wish was really a bummer.

I've heard the other 'stories' also about being a jerk. I fished a tourney this spring with someone who free-lances in the fishing industry. He had the occasion to be the 'host' for a paid visit by Roland to a fishing show/dealer exhibit/seminar. He said the whole time, it was always one face for the fans/cameras/papers, and a completely different face for those he was 'working' with. In short, jerk.

Tex

Rob

Believe it or not I heard about that deal about him getting blacklisted. It was a footnote on some cable newscast I was watching at the time. Then I just chalked it up to his competitors and sour grapes. My buddy Eddie(teacher mentioned before) talked to a bunch of guys in Florida who actually HATE him and wish he'd go back to Oaklahoma this was mostly locals around Clewiston where Ed was staying.

It seems like most the guys I have looked up to turn out to be other than what they really are.

First Rock Hudson now RolandLOL

fatrap

HEY, Rock WAS a ladies man!!! Don't you dare tell me otherwise! LOL

OK, here's the real story about good 'ole Roland for any who are interested.

I sometimes subcontract for another guide, Pete, who owns a bigger outfit just south of P'burgh. He's been in business for over 26 years, so he has a bigger client base. Anyway....one early September morning, just before the 1st ever Pro tourney on Champlain, the '97 (if I recall correctly) BASS tourney out of Mallets bay in Burlington VT. Well, the guides were all picking up their clients at the lodge when up pulls this full size rig with decals decked out and a big old Triton in tow. Out jumps Roland and walks over to Pete and more or less demands, "I need a guide....TODAY!"

Pete told him we were booked in full and had nobody available and to try in a few days. Roland was insistent and wanted somebody. Then he says, "Do you know WHO I AM?"

Pete was awesome, "YUP, and I don't CARE either. THESE customers paid good money and come back every year. You won't get any better treatment then they get!"

So Roland then asked if he could at least follow a few of the boats to see what kind of pattern we were on.

Pete gave up and said the if the clients didn't mind, he didn't care.

Now the clients, unlike the guides, WERE starstruck. I mean, hey, THIS was Roland MARTIN!!! SURE they said. Roland thanked them and promised to send them each a few Spiderline Mitchell rod combos when he got back to FL.

So Roland got on a winning pattern.

I helped with the weigh in on the last day and after Roland weighed in, I went to ask him a quick question and to make sure he remembered his obligation. He wouldn't even turn around. No grant you, there were a lot of people wanting his time as he was leading the tourney. But I looked right at him and said, "Excuse me, Mr Martin?"

He just turned and walked away as if to say, "I have won, I don't need you people anymore."

So I shot out, loud enough for everyone to hear, "HEY ROLAND, How many times did you throw the HELICOPTER lure this week?????" LOL

If looks could kill, I'd have been blown into FL strain largemouth chum! But I got my point across, and all the reporters and other anglers, had to turn away as they snickered. I think Larry Nixon was one. He had to go behind the trailer to laugh.

And NO, Roland never did send the clients anything in return.

Since then, nobody up here will have anything to do with him. When he came back for the next BASS and then the FLW two years ago, he started telling local tackle shop owners he was going to buy some lake front and start his own guide service up here. Since his ex-wife owns the one AND the marina on the big O.

He didn't plan on paying his guides much since they would have the "honor" or working for him. Well, one outspoken lady that owns a tackle store I know, blasted him. She said, "You go ahead and open your guide service. Even IF you DID pay your guides TWICE what they get now, NOBODY around here will work for you!"

His plan faded like his career has.

So that's the real story, with some stuff you probably didn't hear in any magazines or on any shows.

I only have 3 other pros I openly don't like, but I won't get into it.

Rob,

I was at that weigh-in at Mallets Bay. I thought I heard someone yammering all day long!!!! LOL!!!! Just kidding ya!!! That was my first pro tourney weigh-in and it was the first time I saw Roland Martin and Jimmy Houston in person. They sure are hams for the camera.

Bob G.

Jimmy is night and day from Roland. He is a class act. He will take the time to talk to anyone, even YOU! LOL He's a ham, but in a good way. Roland....well he's just a porker.

Rob thats one heck of an interesting story.

I've met Jimmy Huston four times. Once at a Bass University. I asked him a ton of questions. A few years later he was a guest pro at a tackle shop opening in Omaha. He remembered me from Bass U and once again took time to talk to me. I WAS IMPRESSED. Another man I know fished a tournament that Huston was in at Truman Resivor. Said Jimmy held a lay prayer service for the other fisherman. Don't know it that's true but I believe it.

Same with Hank Parker what a nice guy.

I'd DIDN'T know ole Roland was divorced and his ex got the marina in Fl. That's justice for you. I guess it serves him right if she took him to the cleaners.

OH well Live and learn.

fatrap

Why do you think he hit the Tournament trail again, besides the fact that he has never won the big one (the Classic). He's got a new wife, new sponsers (he managed to get fired from his old ones) and a nasty divorce settlement.

Gotta be nice, Yamamoto picked him up. I've met him a couple of times.

TOXIC

Guys I've met that are just plain awesome:

Larry Nixon

Jimmy Houston

Denny Brauer

Mickey Bruce

Pat Fisher

John Sappington

KVD (briefly at the last Champlain FLW, but even though he was in the hunt for AOY and moments away from blast off, and just coming off his Classic win, he took 5 minutes to chat with me.)

Alton Jones

Peter T.

Kenyon Hill

Davy Hite

Gary Klein

Basil Bacon (briefly at the NTOWS 2002 Rally on Champlain. He watched our weigh-in, but was very nice and respectful. I talked to him later, really nice guy)

Mike Iaconelli (despite what a lot of people think of him, he's a really nice guy)

Wesley Strader (Fuji)

Joel Richardson (Fuji)

Rob Pearson (7up)

Bob Izumi (sp?)

As for guys I don't like, well if ya ain't got nuthin' good to say.....LOL

Other than Roland.....I have NO beans about calling that spade a spade. Screw a guide that's one thing, screw a fan and unsuspecting client....that's a whole other thing.

Hey Fatrap, unless I'm very wrong, Roland isn't from Oklahoma, he's from Florida. I think it's Jimmy Houston you're thinking of. I see Jimmy around here all the time at boat and tackle shows ect. He always acts like he remembers you from the old neighborhood.

I stood and talked to Dion Hibdon in BPS Springfield for 15 or 20 minutes before I recognized who he was. He is the most non-pretentious guy you'll ever want to meet. I wondered why he kept talking about his dad.

Harpo

Well, that's interesting. There is both a Broken Arrow (suburb of Tulsa) and a Broken Bow (small town and big lake in SE Okla). I'll have to ask around and see if ol' Roland ever called Oklahoma home.

Harpo

Harpo

If you find out let me know. I'm almost positive he lived in OK but my dementia may be getting worse.

fatrap

Roland use to teach HS math in Oklahoma,...then he moved to SC and guided on Santee,....then he moved on to FLA.

Thanks Mac

I didn't know about the teaching stint though. Gee I have something in common with Roland we're both teachers. Wow

fatrap

I think he taught in OK just after he got outa the Army. Don't know where i read all that,...mighta been in Ray Scott's book, "BASS Boss"...I think he mentioned a little about each of the guys who use to travel with him when he was just starting BASS. BTW-Bill Dance was a furniture salesman in TN,...

Whenever I reach that pinnacle of my fishing career, I only hope to be an emassador of the sport to bring people to it, not turn them away. Guys like Larry Nixon, Gary Klein, Denny Brauer, and Jay Yelas are the epitomy of class and real role models for the sport.

We all owe Roland, Bill, Ray, and the early guys for putting tourney fishing on the map and sticking it out in the beginning. Nobody can ever take that from them.

Very interesting story, Rob. Thanks!

The "Make A Wish" thing absolutely floors me.....

Anyone know if it can be confirmed?

I heard it too. Don't know if it's true or not. But I'm sorry to say, it wouldn't surprise me. Now I've HEARD the same thing about Scott Martin, his son. But I spent some time with Scott, and he seemed REAL nice to me. He took time to talk to me about possibly guiding for him and his mom on the Big O for winter months should I go full time. He seemed a LOT more approachable than his old man. I'm a firm believer in judging each on an individual basis. Not everyone is like their parents. Anyone that knows MY dad can attest.

The Make a Wish thing was in the Sunday paper years back. As I was still fishing money tournaments and everyone I knew mailed me the stupid article about my hero Roland. Roland claimed that his staff didn't tell him about the boy. Believe what you want but the snub was in the paper.

A follow up story stated that Orlando Wilson drove to the boy's house and picked up for a days fishing. As the story related the boy could only do a half day as he was very ill. He died shortly after.

Until recently I believed what Mr. Martin said until Eddie, a fellow shop teacher related to me the incidents about the Florida natives and somethings that sounded very close to what Rob said that happened in New York state.

fatrap

Does anybody know how old Roland Martin is? I remember when I was a kid, say around 1960 or 61 really liking a writer for either Field & Stream or Sports Afield that I believe was named Roland Martin. However the RM that we're talking about here doesn't seem that much older than I am (53). Do any of you OF's remember who I might be talking about?

Harpo

I'm pretty sure Roland is 60-61,...he looks good for his age but he's deffinitely older than you Sooner,..by 8-9 yrs anyway!!

Back to the song:

I noticed a lot of southern lakes mentioned in the song including Kentucky Lake. Never heard anything about Anna,champlain,or the potomac.

Maybe there is a hidden message in the lyrics....LOL

Wolf

They mention Lake Sardis which is a great bass lake in SE Oklahoma, in fact the state record LM came from there about 10 years ago. I just found out not long ago that there is another Sardis in Alabama I think. Wonder which one he's singing about?

Harpo

Back