Memorial Day Remembrance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Our country was founded in the 18th Century on the principle that all men are created equal and that they are entitled to live in freedom. It is now the 21st Century. It seems like a long time. But, I hope it is only the beginning of a long history for our Country.

I believe that just recently it was reported that the last living combat veteran of World War I passed away. If I remember correctly he was a British Seaman over 100 years old when he passed. He was from the generation of heroes who were looked back to by my Father's generation. The heroes of that WWI generation looked back to the heroes of our our Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the Spanish American War. Now, my Father's generation, the heroes of WWII and Korea, is quickly passing from among us.

In 1959 during the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln and Douglas debate in my hometown, Quincy, Illinois, a former Drummer Boy who served with the Union Army, then over 100 nyears old, marched briefly in the parade (he rode through most of the route but walked before the reviewing stand of "dignitaries". I now know that he was the real "dignitary" that day). The last of his geneartion all passed from among us in a few short years thereafter. About 100 years later my generation served in Vietnam. And, as time passes my generation will all pass on someday.

Our son's and daughters generation is serving now. So, every generation, before, during and regrettably long after we are gone, will add to the list of heroes who have passed on to be remembered in future Memorial Days. But, always, I hope, there will be those who not only honor and remember those who have gone before; those who served and are gone so that each future generation in our great country can continue to live in freedom.

That hard to define but easily appreciated, coveted and cherished concept, Freedom, is what makes the sacrifices of all of the past generations and those into the future, necessary and justified. Memorial Day is not just about remembrance of the sacrifice and those who are now gone. It is also a day to honor the sacrifice to give meaning to the service by celebrating the Freedom that is the just reward of the past and future sacrifices. Imagine how tragic it would be to let that Freedom die after so many generations of our best have given so much over many years. So, as we remember Memorial Day this year let our future generations, those in your circle of family and friends, know how special our freedom is and how we got it and how we will have to keep it.

Freedom is not free; it has been earned for us and we are obligated to see that it is protected and passed on into the future. God Bless America.

Freg - My wife's great uncle is 102 and served in WWII at age 36. I love to listen to his stories that are just as vivid in hismind as the day they happened. He was a driver and never got above the rank of Private because he didn't want any more responsibility. He taught GIs how to swim because we lost so many to drownings when they got off the landing ships during theD-Day landing. My generation was Viet Nam and I lost many friends. Never forget what it is about. The young ones of today don't realize the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day. God bless all of our airmen, sailors, soldiers and marines. Thank you always!! Don't foeget your poppy today or have they stopped that?

Greg, I've been away from the site, (very, very busy/and lazy )for a long time, way too long. But I just want to jump in here and thank all of those and their families for their ultimate sacrifice for this great nation.

Great point Bill, about the confusion between Memorial day and Veterans Day.

On a personal note, I'd like to say how proud I am of my dad, (He was on the USS Bunker Hill), who's taking the "honor flight Chicago" trip to Washington in about a week. He lost so many close friends back then, and I know he has no problem remembering the true meaning of Memorial Day. Again, thank you to all those soldiers and families out there who sacraficed for their country.

The poppy is still alive in Oklahoma. I am a Viet Nam Vet and proud of it. Thanks to all who have served and the ones that are still paying the price of freedom. Have a happy Memorial Day and say a prayer for all of them.

Latest posts

Back