Grab Bag Sneak Peak - Lower Unit Lube Change

• Thread starter Mark Hofman [URL]http://www.stlhofman.com/loweruni
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
For those of us who are not mechanically inclined, I've put together a Grab Bag article on changing the lubricant in the lower unit. I e-mailed Rich with this, so it may or may not make it into the Grab Bag.

Reduce the window frame to the same size as it would appear if it were in the Grab Bag section and the full site menu was still on the left.

And Puhleeezeee let me know if I left anything out. I can edit this page pretty easily.

MO
http://www.stlhofman.com/lowerunitproject.htm

Mo, you got yourself a problem there buddy. Can you say obsessive compulsive? You have projects and check lists for everything. LOL Please don't tell me you arrange your sock and underwear drawer and clean your crankbaits with an old toothbrush and soapy water in the off season. Dude, you need to get out more. LOL Take hunting back up! But hey, when you're finished, you want to come arrange my shed for me????? Free SM trip in it for ya!

Yeah, I guess I do have a problem. I like to do this kind of stuff myself, but I hate messin' with a $9K outboard with no real experience. I went out on the 'net looking for help with this procedure, and found some stuff, but none of it had pictures.

I just figured that I couldn't be the ONLY one out there who looks for this kind of information on the internet.

And obsessive/compulsive? Heck, my wife gets on my all the time for NOT putting my sock and underwear away. I just root through the laundry basket like a dog diggin' a hole fer his bone.

And when I said, "Give yourself some room to work", that's because I had all kinds of CRAP around the workbench in my garage! Took me longer to clean out a place to work than it did to change the oil!

mo,dont worry what the others say,you might have helped 1 person out here by showing them how to do it,thats all the reward you need!

obsessive/compulsive,anal retentive,dont think so!

honestly,did he help anyone with the post?

Just razzin ya. But I know how it is. I can't really work in a clutter. I need things orderly. But the projects you come up will help folks that don't normally know what we mean. We take a lot for granted when talking to people new to the boating world. Chine walking, WOT, fogging, what is your prop turning, gel coat or stress crack. All alien to new folks. Pictures say a 1000 words, it's true.

helped me.

I kinda "knew" how to do it, but pictures and a walkthru allways help a first timer!

"do not put the vent plug back into the top hole until I tell you to!"

(Mo is also VERY controlling!)

Very well done, Mark!

Personally, I think that you should start to put together a manual for new boat owners. With your writing skills and pictures, it would sell! With all the money we spend on our boats, no one would bat an eye at a basic manual for $24.95 that covers details as well as you do!

Thanks, Mark!

me!

Nice job Mo...

That's the kind of stuff a New Boat Owner needs to have available. And, I think you should do the whole thing for a 115 OMC..I just happen to have one you can use for an illustration... I already have the area cleaned up for you... Oh, and that area is just 10 feet from the fridge...your choice of beverages are available... enjoy.!!!!

That OMC unit is white, too, isn't it, Greg?

That'll look better in the pictures!

Nice web work! I did oil changes on my lower units before, but never thought I need make sure air is vented out after the oil has come out of the top plug. Thanks for that important tip.

my lower units red,wouldnt that be a nicer picture!!that merc black just doesnt cut it!

oh wait,i forgot,i got a merc also.

did your merc have the magnets on both plugs?or just the one?my 8hp merc upper plug is a small machine screw,not magnetic.

but the omc has both magnetic plugs!

Yeah, black on black makes for lousy pictures. And I had a black filing cabinet in the background! I almost draped a tarp behind the engine for effect, but that WOULD have been anal.

Thanks for the compliments. I really enjoy writing this kind of stuff. It brings out the teacher in me.

Jeff, both plugs were identical as far as I could tell. I didn't have any metallic chips or slivers sticking to either plug so its hard to know if they're both magnetic. Bob Bourget could answer that one. Here's a photo of the two plugs, and one of the fiber washers. I needed to fish the other one out of the drain hole.
plugs.jpg

i heard rumor that they took the long style magnetic plugs out when a few of the magnets broke off and took out the gears in the lower unit.yours might be magnetic.

This is always my luck; somebody posts a fool proof way to change the lower unit gear oil and my 60hp has 3 plugs instead of two. Anybody know why there is an extra plug (probably vent) at the top?

That is awesome Mo, thanks, I wish the Merc instructions were that detailed, also, I have the 60hp with 3 plugs also, 1 fill and 2 vent......

TWO THUMBS UP! You have MO-tovated (get it?) me to get my lower unit oil changed. Not this weekend though - forecast is sunny and 66 to 70 degrees. I be fishin'

Harpo

Latest posts

Back