changing lower unit ... where the heck is the drain plug...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
ok... The grab bag article is great, but **I** had to get the lower unit that doesnt look like the picture...

There is an upper screw, but no lower... not underneath, not on the rear, nowhere.

Am I supposed to pick the boat up and tip it or something?

HELP!

Sim:

Log onto the Mercury Marine Parts Express website with your outboard's serial number handy (link below):

Go through the rigamarole of searching for a dealership.

Then, when you see the menu under PARTS & ACCESSORIES CATEGORY SELECTION, choose "Gearhousing (Driveshaft)". My motor had three options (Standard/Counterrotation, Standard Rotation, and Counter Rotation). I found the right diagram under the Standard/Counterrotation, but you may have to search for the right diagram.

The exploded parts diagram will give you a general idea of where to look. My part name was "Screwkit/Drain" and shows that I have two. One high and one low.

Your XB250 may require you to call your dealership. That's all the help I can provide.

MOFish (Mark Hofman)
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/ServiceParts/sphome.asp?CID=

1/4"?? Harpo that's a toothpick, grab the 1" diamond tipped concrete drill bit!!!

Put some bearing grease on that bit, so there won't be any shaveings in the case when your done...........

BF

Mo... I'll try that... only problem is that I'm fairly sure this isnt the "standard" lower unit... It's "grey" (not black) and I know that Pat put it on just before I picked it up...wonder where it's model/serial # would be?

Hopefully Pat will chime in here and give me a clue...

Sooner, Trep, Bruce... thanks! I'll keep that in mind, but I think I'd rather just tip the boat up on end!

Mofish says it's and XB? If so I can find out Friday. (Love that sound) because of the special case there may not be one? So if Bob or Pat don't tell ya, I will check.

BF

P.S I was telling the truth about the grease though.

It's definitely an XB... based on this picture,

(from the link Mo gave Thanks Mo!)

It's part # 72... of course the pic don't show _where_ it goes, but I can assume from this it's under the prop, near the shaft itself.

I know, I'll just start screwing around until some fluid leaks out.... that ought to help.

Here's the lower unit diagram (based on the merc site)

My serial # is 0G981331

oghp_x2.gif

Hey Sim, Take your prop off and the lower drain plug is right under the prop shaft. Later<>?< <>< <>< Jack

Mine was where Jack noted. My tech's did all the servicing, but I remember seeing it when changing wheels while rigging.

Latest posts

Back