Lube For My Lower Unit?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Bought some Pennzoil gear lube for my lower unit before I read the Mo's Grab Bag article. My question is: How important is it to use Merc or Quicksilver oil for this oil change? Is the marine grade Pennzoil SAE 80w/90 lower unit gear unit lube OK to use on my 50hp Merc?

Harpo

It's not critical, in my opinion, to use Merc or Quicksilver gear lube all the time. The only reason for sticking with the Mercury product line is that they can never deny a warranty claim based on the brand of lubricant used if you're using their product line.

What's more critical is that you make sure you drain ALL of the old gear lube out before replacing it with the Pennzoil. You don't want to be mixing two different types.

Open the drain and vent holes, and let the lower unit drain for a couple of days to be sure that it's completely empty.

Then, the next time you do a lower unit oil change, go out and pick up the Merc brand stuff if you're worried about the warranty/repair issue.

WOW! What service, I couldn't have received an answer back as fast if I had called you on the phone.

I want to go fishing in the morning. I'll just run over to Acadmey and pick up some Quicksilver.

Thanks Mark!

Harpo

You're welcome.

I'll sign off now, but have fun fishin' Harpo!!

I agree..if it's a Merc...use Quickslver everything!

TEE

Latest posts

Back