New Grab Bag Project Idea - Need Opinions, Advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
One of the projects I want to attempt this summer (depending on my travel schedule and work load) is to replace the carpet in my TV18. It's worn, stained and coming loose in several places. This may make for an interesting Grab Bag project. I've been getting e-mails almost weekly from folks who've used the Lower Unit Oil Change Grab Bag project who have Googled for online help, and appreciate the fact that it has several photographs.

A lot of the websites I've seen approach carpet replacement from the perspective of a fiberglass bass boat. But on my boat, I'm going to be removing dozens of screws in order to remove sections of the deck before replacing the carpet.

Some questions: Have any of you done extensive carpet replacement on a more recent Tracker aluminum boat? If not, would this be of interest you as a potential Grab Bag project?

Where would be some good places to go to purchase carpet that (closely) matches the original?

Any installation tips (such as adhesive to use, pre-treatment of the decking, etc.) so that I don't make unnecessary mistakes?

I may have some more questions later, but I'll stop here. Thanks for considering this request for help and feedback!

Unfortunately I've helped do several recarpet jobs. One thing I did learn is to try and keep the original carpet in good enough shape to use as a template. Cut the carpet a couple of inches larger than the template. Second, contact cement is a no no. Better to have a slower drying marine glue so you can adjust the carpet in need be. Third don't get in a hurry(my biggest fault) because Murphy is waiting for you to do so. Have some weights and things to hold the carpet in place while it drys. Don't recarpet in a closed garage. The glue fumes will reduce you I.Q. or possibley kill you.

fatrap

MOFISH:

JUST FINISHED A COMPLETE RECARPET OF MY 98 185. JOB IS TIME CONSUMING , BUT NOT VERY HARD. I DID USE A SLOW CURING GLUE FOR MOST THINGS. I DID USE CONTACT CEMENT FOR THE SMALLER THINGS. I REMOVED ALL HATCHES AND DOORS. THIS WAS DONE BY DRILLING OUT RIVETS AND REMOVING SCREWS. YOU MUST MARK ALL DOORS AND HATCHES AND THE DIRECTION THEY GO ON. THE HARDEST PART IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CARPET IS RUNNING IN THE SAME DIRECTION, AS THERE IS A PATTERN IN THE WAY THAT THE CARPET LIES. IF YOU LIKE I COULD SEND YOU A COMPLETE SET OF PICTURES.

MIKE ([email protected])

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=5213&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I bought this kit to do a 175. It gives you every thing but a glue trowel and a knife, You can purchase that at lowes Vinyl floor dept.

Do not buy the premium carpet, it is to thick for the doors.

Like Mike said, keep the grain going to same way.

I used little pieces of wire to mark the screw holes.

Make sure you get the old glue off the best you can.

Take your time. This is a good winter time project.

The back deck is the hardest because it will not come out.

Troy

Thanks, guys!

Yes, Mike, I'd love to see the pictures. I've got high-speed, so I would have no problem with the number or size of the photos.

My plan was to remove one section of deck at a time, recarpet it and reinstall it rather than try to do everything all at once. I would start with the bow piece, then the front casting deck, moving progressively back to the stern. This would allow me to keep the boat in the garage, but work on subsections outside when the weather is nice, and cure them in the garage before reinstalling that piece.

Troy, do you think it would be possible to use premium carpet, but trim back the nap where the doors close? I have five doors this will affect including the livewell hatch (a real bear to open right now), and we've (my brother-in-law and I) discussed a couple of ways to resolve the issue when I recarpet. The rod lockers and front compartment lid won't be as bad.

The other question was whether I should document this and put together a Grab Bag project page. If there's no interest, then I can just move on the project without having to think about documenting it.

Yes document this and any suggestions or fixes you find along the way will be nice. I will be doing this to my tv-18 in the next couple of years.

Randy!

Latest posts

Back