GPS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene` Zartman

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a GPS for my boat. When in Fl. there are lots of lakes and the chart plotter will have all the launch ramps as well as the charts and should help in finding my way back to the ramp in the dark. Especially in some of the strip mine lakes which are really cut up.

This Forum has tremendous experience with this type of equipment. I would appreciate your advice. I'm thinking of a Garmin 421 or 521 But I think I may need the 431 or 531 series. Thank you for your help! Gene

Are you intending to get the combo unit that doubles as a depth sounder? Will you add the BlueChart cards to it also?

I love Garmin products, and certainly used to own Garmin DepthSounders in the past. However, I've moved to the HBird line of products especially since they have really advanced their technology and offerings.

I think that the big question may be, if you are going to use add in Lake Cards (either BlueChart or Navionics), which of these two products will give you the best results for the waters that you are going to fish?

There are several of the add on's that specialize in costal/off shore mapping and information. However, they typically don't do much for the inland waterways. I personally think the Navionics chips offer the best options.

If I was buying, I'd look at either HBird or Lowrance with a Navionics chip. I just looked at the BlueChart options - WOW! Expensive and it appears it would take a number of them to cover Florida. I certainly don't think I would be going that route, myself.

Tex

Latest posts

Back