GPS/WAS Navigation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Well, I am getting excited about my new Nitro. If you remember, I was asking about Nitros back at Thanksgiving and everyone gave excellent advice on options.

The one thing I decided to do when I placed my order was to go with the basic Lowrance sonar because I figured I would be able to get what I really wanted on my own and at a lower price.

Well, I think I have another month or so before the boat is finished and shipped to the dealer and I thought it was time to start thinking of GPS/WAS electronics.

I don't really know alot about them and I had some really basic questions I could use your help with. I have been to some of the GPS manufacturer's web sites but I value all of your opinions.

I wanted to be able to fish local ponds and lakes within a 70 mile radius of Boston. I would like to be able to get maps of these bodies of water that I could see on the device as well as maybe print out on a computer. I know there are maps available for every region, but will they have all bodies of water? Will they be able to record where you have gone and allow you to place waypoints? Some of the local lakes/ponds include Chebacco Lake, Mystic River, Charles River, Knopps Pond and Martins Pond.

If they are not available, can you chart your own with some of these devices?

What would you recommend if you wanted to spend less than $1,000.00 on the unit?

Thanks in advance!

MadKayaker

Most of the lowrance units have built in maps that cover all of the smaller bodies of water as well. However, these maps are very basic. The Lowrance units that support Mapcreate allow you to download more detailed map information from the disc that comes with Mapcreate. You can also upload waypoints from the unit back onto the computer. Navionics fishing hotspots cards are available that will show topographic features of a numer of lakes and rivers; however, i don't think that the smaller bodies of water will be available from Navionics.

Do you want a Gps/Sonar combo, or strictly GPS? I would highly recommend the Global Map 4000 GPS if you were looking strictly Gps. You can copy cards with this unit and the 7" display is nice. It retails for about $700. If you wanted to get a Gps/Sonar combo, the X-15 is a great unit for about $1000. Same 7" display and you can also copy cards.

Lowrance introduced a number of new products this year that look pretty good including the Global Map 3300C ($499)and 4800M($399).

Three Rivers Marine has the best prices that I have come across. Their website is Threeriversmarine.com

Happy Shopping

Jon, I was thinking maybe just getting a GPS/WAS unit and using it in combination with a separate sonar - either the one that comes with the Nitro or one I would purchase later. If Mapcreate or Navionics don't have the map of the body of water I want to fish, then it sounds like I won't be able to chart it - is that correct?

JR, I ended up getting the dual-console 750 with the upgraded 115 engine. I'll post a picture when it comes in.

Any other advise on a GPS/Was unit would be appreciated!

Mapcreate will cover all bodies of water. You will be able to save waypoints on the smaller bodies of water as well. Just make sure you get a unit that supports the mapcreate software.

I would go with the Global Map 4000. Very easy to use, and it has a nice 7" display. If you fish primarily smaller bodies of water and don't need the larger display, save yourself the cash and get the 4800M.

Jon thanks again for the info - I like the idea of having MapCreate and will look into that in more detail.

Cass, I am real familiar with the link you gave and use the pdf maps now - came in real handy last season fishing in my kayak. I wanted to be able to get the same thing for the electronics so I can put in markers and waypoints while fishing in the boat and overall customizing the map with my own data.

Latest posts

Back