Got whooped by my partner on Friday/Saturday tourney!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
The partner (non-boater) that I drew for our tournament this weekend (2 nighter on Wylie) is someone that is a very good fisherman, and also has fished on Wylie most of his life (in his late 20's I believe). We talked at the meeting on Tuesday, and I told him that I would be ready, willing and able. We'd fish wherever (and whatever technique) that he wanted, as I was there to learn. Fishing was great with him. Shared quite a bit, wasn't afraid to show me multiple spots, and also took a turn at the front (which was fine with me).

We started out (while light) fishing deep drops/ledges using drop shot. He started with white flukes, I was using green/purple drop shot worm (4" finese). He put two in the boat, me none. I did switch to a white fluke after he put the second one in the boat.

Once dark, we then switched to brushpiles, located primarily off of docks. Mostly, fishing TX rigged Mag II/Monster worms in dark colors. He prefers a Mag II Mocasion/Blue worm, I was using black grape and a watermelon seed worm also. Long story shortened, he put 18 LM in the boat on Friday. I put in three. He really helped me with my technique, for I was fishing too fast, and he could tell it.

On Saturday, we fished the same basic patterns, but the fishing was much slower/tougher. He boated 4, and I got 1. However, I had more bites, and missed 3 good fish and a couple of dinks. Lost one nice fish on a breakoff, and lost a very nice fish on a drop shot. The drop shot fish I believe just had a lip lock on the bait, and I likely pulled it out of his mouth when he opened to take the bait in. It was a real rod bender, but everything came back (bait, hook and all). I had about 3-4 turns of the reel bringing him in when he 'spit' the bait.

Good outing, learned something and some good spots. Now need to go out and put that to work for me. Not sure how we turned out for the weekend (find out next month), but we may have finished 2nd or 3rd. It will be close though.

Tex

That's always one of my biggest problems...still even now at times. I have to take myself back to the basics and go SLOOOOOOOOOOW! Especially if I'm fishin timber...I'll creep that bait along ever so slowly and work it thru the limbs and let it fall into places you wouldn't normally be able to get that bait in the first place. Works everytime...my buddy has a nickname for it..."Grannydoodlin'"!

TEE

yeah, but if you look in last months issue of the bass magazine, all they talked about was fishing plastics FAST trying to get reaction strikes.

tex, i am with you on this one. anytime i take a guest, i welcome them to take the front of the boat. or if they want to go to a different spot, i am there. i am like a sponge...just can't learn enough about techniques and different fishing styles. we really should get together and fish some soon.

all this talk about being a good fishing partner and how a partner should be. i guess it is different when there is money on the line. but for me catching fish is a BONUS, not a requirement. being on the water and enjoying the outdoors is the primary focus.

maybe if it ever STOPS raining we could meet at high rock and actually catch some fish. i am 0 for 3 visits on that lake. need to improve my percentages!

bryan

Bryan,

Haven't forgotten about your invite. Yes, want to get out with you one day and take a shot at some of them High Rock basses.

Tex

Latest posts

Back