Getting my batteries back up to snuff . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Earlier this year when I was getting ready to move from our lakeside home to DFW area, I tried to charge the batteries on the boat. No deal, as my portable charger was 'packed' and my on board charger bit the dust.

Well, this weekend I got out my extension cord; found my portable charger and have been bringing the three Trojan's back up to snuff. I made sure everything was topped off with distilled water (not bad, just a little low), and started on the trolling batteries.

First one was 9.5 v and only showing 10% charge. Did this one in two stages actually. I charged it for about 6 hours, and then brought it in for the night (charger). Yesterday afternoon put it back on at 12a rate, and when I shut it off last night we were at about 12.6 and 75%. This morning, it finished up and was showing a static 13.3 v and 100% charge.

Second one was around 10.5 v and 20% charge. First round yesterday was over 12v and about 65% charge rate. It's finishing it's final charge this morning.

I did them in two stages for I really wanted to see what type of 'staying power' that they had, and I thought that taking a break between charges was better way of letting the batteries 'even out' so to speak. No 'science' in this, just what I wanted to do.

Big battery for the engine will be next. It will probably get it's charge starting early this afternoon and finish up this evening.

Again, very happy with the Trojan's that I bought three years ago, and are still doing very well with intermittent use.

Now, just need to replace my on-board charger so that it doesn't take me all weekend to get it back up to snuff. Just about to be ready to get back out on the water.

Tex

Finished up this evening. All of them are back up to level and doing well. I'll check their voltage levels this week, and would like to get it back on the water next weekend.

Tex

Good news Tex! You've definitely earned the opportunity to get out and bust a few. Good luck!! ;)

Latest posts

Back