gas test kit.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Orlando

Reaction score
I just received my gasoline/alcohol/water test kit. I have been leery of some of the gas where I live as my car and trucks seem to run "funny" once in a while. I have a brand new Merc 40hp and regardless what the dealer put in it when I picked it up I'm determined to use straight gas in it.

There are two stations close by who claim to sell non-ethanol gas and none of the stations are claiming E-15 yet. I figured it would be nice to know however so I ordered the kit.

Bingo! The first test was on one station's non-ethanol and it was spot on. No alcohol and no water. The station where I normally buy gas for my vehicles was a different story however. There was around 13 % alcohol. Pretty discouraging. There are quite a few of these inexpensive kits available. I highly recommend them.

This may prove to become even more interesting as time goes on.

Bob - where did you get your kit? Curious myself as I get most of my boat gas from a place that has the dreaded 10% ethanol sticker.

Also, you shouldn't have to worry about E15 yet. While EPA has approved it, the regulation is being challenged by a number of trade associations representing small engine manufacturers, the marine industry and offroad manufacturers.

Jim,... I'll post the site here for you in the morning. I don't know where my wife put the receipt. My worry is not with what the news is, but rather with the disturbing information that came with the kit. I have not checked this info out yet but you can be sure I will.

cqbaker ... The information I got with the kit is that the alcohol is blended in locally. It unfortunately is not tightly controlled and may even be done by an inexperienced delivery driver. I need to do some more research to confirm this as well as some of the other "facts" that were on the sheet that came with it.

TOXIC,.... Apparently this varies from State to State. I'm going to do some poking around here in Oregon and see what I can find out.

Dang, I just realized that ethanol is also a tax increase, as you get 3% less fuel mileage, you pay 3% more road taxes. No wonder the Gov't likes the stuff.

Berry,... don't quote me on this but I heard it in the wind that there are tax incentives for the retailers who sell it also. As with most of this information however I tend to take it with a grain of salt until I research it some.

How sad is it that we even have these conversations/posts??? WHY do we put up with this crap? Our government no longer listens to us or has even close to our best interest in mind. It's time we get rid of them all, get rid of ethanol, get rid of excessive taxes, and go back to simpler, better times.

Why in the world should a man have to buy a tester kit to make sure the gas he gets won't blow his engine? :angry::angry::angry:

Berry,... don't quote me on this but I heard it in the wind that there are tax incentives for the retailers who sell it also. As with most of this information however I tend to take it with a grain of salt until I research it some.

Bob,

Up here in New England where i live there are no incentives for selling this stuff. Its mandated and the retailers have zero say in the matter. All it has done for the retailers here is cost them money and shrinking their already tiny profits(the retailers make .10 a gallon tops after taxes etc) even smaller due to the increased maint on the pumps and dispensers.

JimB,

.10 net or gross???.....the answer may surprise you.

My Father in law ran a full service gas station in Northern Mi. for over 30 years,...he made all his money on parts and service and fuel oil,....he told me he was lucky if he made .05/gal. on gas. Most of the time it was 2-3 cents a gal.!!

Mac,.... I worked for a buddy of mine who had a gas station back in the late 70's. The only money he made was on snacks, repairs, and pop and beer sales. I know what you mean. I'm not sure where the info. on the tax credits comes from or who gets them so I'm not going to point any fingers right now.

How these products are priced and who winds up the winners and losers is for the most part a mystery. It's sort of like what the dealer pays for a new car from the factory. Nobody knows except the owner and general manager. It's a well kept secret. I think petroleum products are the same way.

I've decided to keep tabs on the 2 stations I deal with as far as alcohol content goes because I have noticed considerable mileage drops and very rough running from time to time. My recent test showed the gas I purchased to be quite a bit over the 10% marked on the pumps.

Fortunately, there are 2 other stations nearby that sell alcohol free gas. If you don't pull up with a boat or 4 wheeler though, ....no sale which is fine with me.

Latest posts

Back