gas changeover.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Orlando

Reaction score
I can usually find non-ethanol gas in my area with no problem. My question is however, does anyone know why (technically) that using E-10 in a pinch on top of non-ethanol gas would be a mistake? I have heard some "urban folklore" on the topic, but not any technical reasons. Is it an issue or not?

Thanks in advance all.

The Ethanol does not mix well {and is prone to separate} with the "M.T.B.E." or Methyl-Tertiary-Butyl-Ether. I see more and more carb and EFI issues than ever before with this stuff. I just as of yesterday had one of my good customers complain of "poor running, then not at all". The first thing my Techs are trained to do is to perform a fuel sample. Well, his was nothing more than discolored water! We purged the VST, injectors, etc and ran it off the shop tank...no problem. Due to the cost involved {haz-mat}, he decided to remove the old fuel himself...which BTW was just "filled" about three weeks ago. He pulled out nearly THREE GALLONS of water! I know this guy well, would not tell a "fish story"...and....he owns his own HAZ-MAT Company! Stick with a high volume station that turns the inventory.

Bob B.

How do the new Merc Opti's perform with all the 10% ethenol gas? Should I be

adding something to my fuel??

All Merc's post 1982 are designed to run on UP TO 10 percent ethanol. The problem we are having is inconsistency. Various fuel samples can produce results from "0" to an astounding 22 percent! I found out that the ethanol is introduced in the delivery truck..., at times.....by some "not so experienced" drivers.

The associated problems can be catastrophic. The more alcohol....the leaner the burn. The EFI's, carbed, 4-stroke and Opti's do not have the capability to "self-adjust", other than on some models, knock sensors. When we do a tune, it is automatic [when applicable} to retard the max spark advance a couple of degrees to "help" this issue. :angry:

Yes! Sea foam. Good stuff, use it in my coffee every morning,,,,lol

Bob B.,... thanks for the info. I'm going to try real hard to NEVER use E-10 in my new motor. The dealer filled it with non-ethanol when I picked it up (I tested it with a test kit) and will just keep it that way if at all possible.

I also learned to check the gas I buy for my cars on a regular basis as once in a while they all run terrible at the same time. I've found way over 10% ethanol in the gas. It has not happened in a while as when the station knows somebody is watching, they lean on the suppliers pretty hard to be careful. As I understand it, there are some pretty hefty fines in this State for going over on the alcohol.

Back