Which gas additive?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Sabin

Reaction score
I read the prior post about e-fuel going bad. I am looking for advice and input on which additive do you guys use. Anyone have any idea if there is a place in Northern Va where non-alcohol gasoline can be purchased? And now the question that hurts-What can I do with 30-35 gallons of gasoline thats probably 8 to 10 months old ? If anyone in my area wants it, they can have it. Just come get it, or meet me somewhere close by !

Ken,

I had the same thing in my NITRO and I went to an auto parts store and bought a manual fuel pump. I pulled the fuel hose off the top of the tank and the pump hose slipped right on. I could not go through the fill tube. I then pumped 2-5 gal gas cans full and used them in my lawnmower, blower etc. It will be fine for your car or truck, I would back one of them up next to the boat and pump away. Going forward, I used all Merc products...Quickcleen, and Merc Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer (you can buy them separate as well. Donn Weed's cocktail in the other thread is good but I just don't like the idea of putting more alcohol in my fuel (SeaFoam). I used all Merc stuff and never had a problem. I would take at leat 1/2 of your old fuel out and then just refill with fresh and treat it. Most marinas have corn free fuel but you will pay dearly for it. I'm ashamed to say I ran the old boat with 6 month + fuel but I never had a problem.

TOXIC

Ken - High Point Maria at the eastern side of the 208 bridge has non ethanol gas and Anna Point Marina carries Valvtech treated Marine fuel. A bit of a drive fom Nova but it is available.

Ken - you're not going to find non-alcohol tainted fuel in NOVA unless you try a Marina. Haven't checked recently, but Columbia Island Marina used to have it. Maybe some of the lower Potomac Marinas? Guarantee you won't find it at gas stations. A combination of EPA Clean Air Act requirements and the renewable fuel mandate have seen to that.

As far as additives, I've found that Marine Stabil and Seafoam have made use of gasoline with 10% ethanol tolerable to the outboards on my boats. That, and a dedicated fuel/water canister filter bring me peace of mind. Had the G3 out on the Potomac two weekends ago with gas that had been stored over the winter (double treated). The motor did fine - especially with having to dodge all the debris in the river!

Put your old boat fuel in your car/truck. It should be fine. Just watch out to ensure the fuel hasn't separated when you pump it out of the boat.

Water separator/filter and SeaFoam and Marine Stabil... Best approach

Is this spearator/filter fairly easy to install? My battery/oil tank compartment has quite a bit of room in it.

Mercury 150 HP XR-6

Also what does anyone think of Sta-Bil, the blue stuff, says its for ethanol blended gasoline?

Been useing the marine stabil for 2 years in my 150xr6 with no problems. I also treat the first tank of fuel with seafoam.

BF

"Also what does anyone think of Sta-Bil, the blue stuff, says its for ethanol blended gasoline?"

Thats what i have been running since it came out along with Merc Quickleen. I plan to try the startron stuff this season since i love with it has done for my truck.

Personally im not so sure on seafoam with ethanol fuels. There is something about adding a product with Alcohol in it to something that already has Alcohol in it that makes no sense to me. Just sounds like a recipie for kaboom....

Ken,

When i had my XR^ i installed a water seperator only to remove shortly thereafter. The seperator was causing enough restriction to make my motor starve for fuel slightly(and that was with a brand new fuel pump). Merc does not suggest installing one on anything with an Opti or EFI as they already have one.

Startron in every tank and occassionally Yama Ring free.

Ken:

This is what I installed in my rig (see link below). Fuel line from the tank goes to the inlet port and another fuel line comes from the outlet port to the engine. The engine is a 150 Yamaha VMax (a V6 carbureted engine - I believe similar to your XR6).

As for Seafoam containing alcohol - it does. Isopropyl alcohol. That said, all alcohols are not created equally (e.g., you can drink ethanol; I wouldn't recommend that for IPA!). IPA is actually used as a drying agent in a lot of fuel additives as it operates to solubilize small quantities of water into fuel.

Let me know if you need a hand with a fuel/water separate install if you go that route. As I recall, you aren't that far from me!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002QO7S5I&pf_rd_m=AT

Don's cocktail

2 ounces seafoam

1 ounce Sta-bil Marine

1 ounce Mercury Quickleen

Per 6 gallons

I purchased an empty chemical/household bottle at walmart and made several treatments worth of this cocktail and marked a line with a sharpie every 4 ounces was so I know how much to add in when fueling.

Marine Stabil and Yana Ring Free in every tank.

Your Merc may already have a water separator filter on it under the cowling. Do not install an additional one!

Back