Gas and Speed gauge not working

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark King

Reaction score
First time out in the boat today and noticed that the gas and speedo gauges weren't working correctly(I think). I have a pt175 and only put 6 gallons in with double oil and it didn't move the gas gauge. I don't know if the amount isn't enough to move it or it's not working. Also I noticed the speed gauge wasn't moving either. Now, I only have a 25 on the back and don't know if I couldn't get going fast enough to get the speed gauge to work or it's just not working. Does anyone know of anything I could check before I have to haul it to the dealership?

Not too sure about the Gas gauge but as far as the Speedo, the first thing I would check is the intake hole on the lower unit. Its on the front of the lower unit. You prob have some Junk in there. A small drill bit is what I use. I just had to do mine a couple of weeks ago. Mine was really packed. If that doesnt fix the prob then I would open the Motor cover and make sure the Hose (Mine is white) isnt pinched off.

Hope this helps

Max <><

Not sure what size gas tank you have on your rig, but marine gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I have a 42 gallon tank on my rig, the gauge will hover just above empty with 15 gallons in the tank, especially if you are on the move with the gas sloshing around. But then again, yours could be faulty too. I would wait till you fill it completely up to see what happens before you try to correct what may not be a problem..

Before you go to far check all electrical connections for looseness and/or corrosion. Don't try fixing two problems when you may only have one. All the guages need good twelve volts to work, and the winter layoff is a prime time for these issue to arise.

My gas gauge works real good when the tank is full and when it's empty....in between, it's a crap shoot.

Harpo

The PT175 has the pitot tube for the speedo is on the back of the boat... I have the same boat with the 75hp motor... As I recall the salesman told me that I could have my speedo hook up to my lower unit pitot on the leading edge of the lower unit... In your case however, I do not believe you have that option. Check the pitot tube on the transom... If it looks ok there then I would recommend you blow out the tube from the guage end... just my informed two cents...

Tight lines,

It's quite possible that you just aren't going fast enough to register on the speedo. Most of those won't read until you get 10+ mph or better.

If your gas gauge is not stuck at E, it's not electrical. When you turn your power off, it should drop to E. The fact that it rises says the electrical current isn't the issue, but either the sending unit (or possibly the gauge itself) needs calibration, or that the sending unit is in wrong and hitting the side of the tank, thus not rising. The float on the sending unit could also be stuck.

The sending unit has a float that rises with the level of fuel. Some have a swing-arm where there's a joint at the top that allows the arm to pivot sideways (and thus up). The others have a flot that moves up and down w rod.

Squirt the garden hose nozzle full blast into the pick up for the speedo. I got my little Nitro up to 80 mph while sitting in the driveway once. That should test it to see if it's working at all.

fatrap

I have a new tv-18 and the gas guage is not working either. Called the marina from the boat and they could not believe that I was calling about the gas guage. Seems there was a guy there with the same problem and three other that had called the same day. All on new 2005 tracker boats!

Good luck with it!

Back