Free Sunday - New lake or old busy lake?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Gang - Starting on Sat afternoon i'll be a Bachelor for a week! The Wife/kids leave at 2pm on Sat for a week at her folks before school starts. I'm night fishing on Sat for crappie/hybrids, and one night this comming week on the river for trout, and then feel i'll sleep in on Sun. But for sunday afternoon and evening I want to hit the water. Here are my choices, what would you guys do, knowing that hot summer afternoons are tough all around:

1. Home Lake - Fish it each week.

2. Lake Lanier - BIG SID as it's called, Great Striper and Bass lake but so big that they have 30-40ft cruisers and cig' boats making HUGE wakes. I could hit a few coves and maybe downline baits for stripers.

3. NEW LAKE - Carters lake, a very deep river/lake. Not a lot of fishing reports online I can find, but supposed to be a clear deep lake and VERY little boat traffic.

So, would you go with the usual, or take a break from the ordinary where I'd have a chance to check out a new lake, I can put the top up and cruise an hour or so in the early afternoon to get a feel for it and find bait, and fish into the evening.

Trep

Yep...I always like to fish differently...it'll give you better skills on other unknown lakes:lol:

Spread your wings a little jarjar. That's the best way to learn new things, when you hit new water and have an open mind. Who knows, you might discover a great new lake loaded with honey holes that you have to yourself.

#3...

If you really want to do #2... do it at nite.

Sounds like you guys are thinking like me. Just gotta get a map for Carters Lake and find a ramp. From the few reports I can find, it sounds like its a VERY pretty lake with spots and stripers.

WOW I just went to the Army Corp site for this lake (http://carters.sam.usace.army.mil/fish.htm) - in 2000 they stocked 2.8 MILLION Walleye! I may need to bring my walleye/canada jigs and get some minnows and see if I can find some too!!

I'm getting excited!!!

Trep - While the dam is on release, head past Doll Mountain (also a good launch site) and immediately upon turning left into the river itself, drop anchor at the gravel bar on the right. (25-30') We've caught numerous good 'eyes there (lots of wood and big rock) on both a float rig and a jig'n minnow. The dam area with a topwater early is your best bet now for a dandy spot. If you go by the marina, tell Dermott (the little English fella that owns/runs it) Big Dan says "Hey!" The new state record spot was just certified out of Burton, another good option within 1.5 hrs. from you. It's got wallys and racing carp as well. (LOL!)

P.S. Talked to a DNR friend of mine on the water today and was told that Lanier went from 38,000 walleye fingerlings in March, to over 80,000 so far. They've been putting the excess fry from the upper lakes into Lanier. We shall see how well they are in a couple years.

OK Dan you've got me convinced!! I'll hit the local bait stores tomorrow and get a map. What would you recommend for launching? Doll Mountain or by the dam? I'll definetly get a few dozen minnows then and rig up float and jig rigs for some Eye's! If I catch them, not only will I let you know, but MMMM good eaten!!

OH and any clue where to buy minnows up that way? Does the marina stock bait? comming off 575 I assume i'll see signs/shops? OR should I stock up from the Allatoona store on my way up (i'm about 5 mins from a bait store).

Trep - Dermott has bait at the marina (dam area), although his choices are limited. When you are at the fork just before the lake access road, there's an old fashioned general store that has a slightly bigger bait selection. (Or there was last time I went, 1.5 yrs. ago.) There are also several gas stations you'll pass on the way that have bait. (worms, minnows) The ramp at Doll Mountain is closest to the river mouth. There's a nice beach/day use area there also. Good luck!

MO - Thats the exact theory that has me doing #3!!! I went out at lunch and got a Map for Carters lake, i'll take Dan's advice and head up the river and fish for walleyes!! I'll have the top up to keep the sun off, and a buddy who i'm trout fishing with on Tuesday night is gonna join me!!!

Trep

Latest posts

Back