Freak Angler Accident - YUCK

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
anglerxray.jpg

A freak accident saw an angler's lead weight fly through his eye socket and become embedded inside his cheek.

Darren Williams, 34, of Wrexham, had a five-hour operation to repair his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

The machine operator was on a fishing trip on Anglesey when his line became snagged and the weight flew up.

"I was so lucky - if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye," he said.

He is keeping the weight as a souvenir after doctors gave it back to him.

"It's my lucky weight now. I will carry it around with me," said Mr Williams, of Acrefair.

He was fishing with friends at Llyn y Gorse, near Llandegfan on Anglesey, when the freak accident happened on Saturday.

I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye.

"I was fishing when the line got snagged on something and as I pulled it, I just felt something hit me on the face and knock me to the floor," said Mr Williams.

"To be honest, I didn't know what had happened, but when I put my hands to my face they were covered in blood.

Emergency operation

He thought the weight had just hit him and bounced off.

"But my mates ran over to me and they could see the tip of the weight sticking out of my eye socket".

Mr Williams, who works at Wrexham chemical plant Flexys underwent an emergency operation at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, where surgeons took the weight out.

Surgeons removed the weight and rebuilt his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

"They showed me the X-ray and I just couldn't believe it," said Mr Williams, who is recovering at home after spending two days in hospital.

"I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye."

Mr Williams said he expected to be off work for some time.

He did not catch anything on that trip - but said the accident had not put him off fishing.

That's it...I'm never going fishing again. Where's the bowling alley? Anybody want to buy a fully equipped boat??

;):lol:Harpo

That's it...I'm never going fishing again. Where's the bowling alley? Anybody want to buy a fully equipped boat??

Harpo

Sit at home with the lights off. And keep the boat. Better to not have any contact with strangers who might be germ carriers.

You'll thank me later. :unsure:

Sit at home with the lights off. And keep the boat. Better to not have any contact with strangers who might be germ carriers.

Could I have beer and Frito Chili Pies delivered?:huh:

Harpo

Could I have beer and Frito Chili Pies delivered?

Harpo

Only if they offer irradiated delivery service at the local market. The driver might object to being bombarded with gamma rays before he leaves for your place.

After they remove the weight he will have a void in his cheek.

Then he can keep his ..................#eed in dere!!!

TOXIC

Tox.....just a pinch 'tween his cheek and gum....LOL :p

Aaron,...that's not gold,.......that's the drop shot weight he's been lookin' for!!:blink:

Another caption for this x-ray should read; The patient responded to the attending physician, "I was just running my jet-ski in and out of these fishermen when I blacked out and woke up here!?":lol:

Ewww... snopes has no record of it. I was hoping it to be false. I cannot imagine such a freak accident.

Latest posts

Back