Four Wheel or Two Wheel drive

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
Looking at getting a new truck. Boat weighs in around 3200. Is four wheel drive a good idea? I was thinking it would be helpful on wet ramps and winter snow. thanks, Sean

Just depends on what you want...of course 2 wheel will get better mileage.

Seeing you live in KY...4 wheel might be a better option.

I've always felt it better, "to have and not need than to need and not have." With that in mind, I've been able to launch/load a variety of heavy hulls in unimproved launches (basically a dirt road into the water) and in low tide, slime covered ramps thanks to the 4WD button on the dash. It is also a huge improvement in snow covered ramps, but know that when several others have launched before you that ramp will turn to ice and your 4WD benefit almost evaporates. That's when a 25-50 lb. bag of kitty litter in the back will save your behind with all four wheels digging in into a drivable situation. Good luck! ;)

My opinion is 2wd isn't even an option for me. I'm sure 99% of the time (or more) I don't need 4wd. But if I get into a spot where I need it, I know I have it. Some of the ramps I use are dirt (mud if it rained recently) and can be shallow.

Just my 2 cents. Go 4wd!

4WD all the way... I still dont understand why they build trucks any other way.

Four wheel drive. Even in the summer some of the older ramps are slick from just being polished by so many tires. I launch at alot of the Ramps on Big South Dakota resevoirs and get a bit of a chuckle watching people with rear wheel and front wheel drive spinning tires while the trailer goes the wrong way down the ramp.

fatrap

Seems all the ramps I've been using are steep and long around this part of Kentucky. Looks like it will be four wheel drive. Thanks all, Sean

If it makes you feel any better...Dale Hollow has some of the stepest ramps around and I've never had an issue pulling the boat out. It's the roads you gotta' worry about.

I really want to get out to Dale Hollow sometime. I just haven't had the chance this year. World record smallmouth comes from that lake.

Headin' there within the next two weeks...lemme know if you need any info Sean;)

Let us all know how it goes. I know there are some good Muskie lakes out that way.

These newer pickups with 4x4 dont get much worse miles per gal,than a 2x2, i use mine alot in fla where i fish many many small orange grove lakes with sand ramps,resale value,4x4 will sell twice as fast as a 2x2,and for about a 1,000 bucks more,id never consider a p/u,that was not 4x4.

Here's a little tip I got from a friend that is a mechanic of 40 years......If you have 4wd try to run it in 4wd at least once a month....gravel road, wet pavement, whatever, just run it for a short distance. According to him, it prevents a lot of problems.

It keeps things properly lubed from what I understand. I

've been looking at a Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi.

I've owned both 4 wheel and two wheel and the 2 wheel will give you about 3 to 4 MPG better. Of course my 04' GMC SCSB has gotten up to 21 MPG highway..a lil' lighter;)

Latest posts

Back