foot control while standing question....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
First time with a foot control troll motor and I have fished with my new boat about 5 times. I have a time maintaining balance while standing and using foot control mainly when using 4-5 speeds. Seems like the control is too high. I see some boats have a recessed box for their foot control, I bet that helps. When sitting its fine but I need to get a taller extension since my leg is bent just a little too much for complete control. Does anyone else notice this? Instead of using the seat, I think I will get a taller ext. and a butt pad then I will be standing and sitting at the same time.....will see.....Have a good week-end watching the Classic...Kenny

Recessing the pedal makes a huge difference. I recessed mine down untill it sits about an inch above the deck when it is pointing straight ahead. Best thing I ever did.:)

Not only helps the balance, but is alot easier on your back at the end of the day.

I have fished out of a Buddies boat with the recessed pedal and I personally didnt like it. Especially when you have to keep your fishing partner in the strike zone. Its fine when you are by yourself but, you will be turning against your body any time your fishing 45 or more degree's off the bow. I guess I am just used to the setups I have had over the years.

My .02

Max <><

That's why I went to the hand control. I love it. I have an MK 101 and it is great. I too had the balance and back problem with the foot control. Recesses are nice but still takes up too much room on the deck. I will always go with the hand control, particularly with the newer ones that you only have to rotate the handle about 60 degrees to get a full turn.

I've tried the hand control like Bill says but at the time thay dodn't have, or didn't know about 60 degree models. I didn't care for them. They took too much "hand off the rod" time for me. I liike the foot control better but I also have the off balance, sore back problem. Years ago I had a 12 volt power drive w/ auto pilot. The foot control was low profile and was the motor that required the least amount of attention while fishing. I upgraded to a 101 but they don't make a 36 volt power drive. I like the 101 but I wish I had gone with the 24 volt power drive for the reason of the foot control. I don't think any motor is "all things to all people" and there are sure some downsides to power drive but for the high profile foot control problem I think the PD, especially with the AP, is a good choice. Just my opinion.

When I switched from a MotorGuide to a MinnKota, I couldn't believe how high the pedal was. It was like standing with my foot on a stool all day long.

When I re-carpeted my boat, and made a new deck, I decided to cut a hole in the old deck to recess my pedal to see how easy it would be. It turned out to be a much easier job than I ever imagined.

I have even dropped it a little lower since this picture.

barkboat.jpg

Kenny I know what you mean...I look like the dancing bear in the Russian ballet sometimes.:wacko: I've talked to guys that use the hand operated TM's but that looks like a juggling act of a differant kind to me too. I think the recessed floor would really help but the list of things to do can get pretty long sometimes without adding to it. I would just reccomend getting a butt seat and a pole extention. That makes it a whole lot easier to lean against it and stand on one foot and operate the TM with the other.

BTW...do you have your TM pedal screwed down? If you don't I reccomend you do... I think it helps a lot to know where your pedal is at all times.

Harpo

Looking at Steve R's picture, I like that. I may just give that a try if I can find someone who does that kind of work. Not me, for sure. No tools. No skills.

I dont know about everyone else I cant use the trolling motor without leaning on the bike seat,tried to do it without the seat in because it looked like it gave me more room but cant keep my balance,drive trolling motor and fish at the same time.it doesn't matter if recessed or not.I put an oversized but seat in front just to lean on,works great.

I ended up having to screw it down on the Nitro so KNEW where it was when we had/have strong winds/waves, and I also can't use the regular seat unless i'm crappie fishing, so I have the hydraulic pole and pro/butt seat and it works great for me. I'd LOVE a recessed pedal, but do not relish the idea of cutting into the front deck of a 'glass boat yet. :eek:

question for steve r,

did you have to pull up the floor first ?? besides cutting the floor how did you do it--whats the pedal sitting on?? how much room under the floor is there?

thanks jim

I've had them both ways... recessed and not... I don't think either has a definite advantage when it comes to a quick burst of speed or if you are fighting a wake/wind etc.

The main thing is to be sure of two things:

1. THat your feet are firmly on the pedal and on the deck

2. That you know which direction the TM is going to head when you apply power.

That being said... I prefer the recessed models. 'usually' there wont be any power or other obstructions in that area... (most of that is run thru the gunnels).. You should be able to see everywhere you might cut by removing the front bezel and opening the lid to the storage compartment.

I also find that the recessed pedal means that i have to lift my foot 'less' to get on top of the pedal if fighting wakes...

Jim,

yes I had the floor up to see what was under there.

Basically I marked where I wanted it on the carpet. Then I cut the carpet like slices of a pizza, from the center to the edges, and folded it back. After I had bare wood showing, I marked that and cut it. I then used strips of 2x2's to frame around the hole,leaving about an inch overhang. Then screwed a piece of plywood to the bottom. Dropped the pedal into place and trimmed around the hole little by little untill I got the fit I wanted. Then painted everything up with waterproof sealer. Fold the slices of carpet "pizza" back down into the hole and glue them back into place. Drop in the pedal and screw it down.

It took me longer to work up the nerve to cut a hole in my deck, than it actually took me to do the work.:D

Ok Steve, ex-roomie, come clean - how long did you have to work up the nerve? It took me 6 years to put screws into my front deck to screw down my T-motor (5.5 on the Tracker, never could do it, and then 6 months on the Nitro!!) LOL

Man we gotta fish together soon mybrothafromanothamotha!!! You need to wrestle that family into the truck and head down to North Georgia, we got the room, the hot tub, and give me 6 weeks and i'll have beer-on-demand in your flavor ready!! The Nitro's gas'd, charged and ready to fish!!

OK Rich Stern, almost 2 years, can we come off "double secret probation" and have a FORMAL NTOWS Rally again?? I gotta see if I can kick Neeley, Steve, Bob R, Teri, Donnie, and everyone else's butt in my Nitro!!!

The best thing that I ever did was to make myself learn how to run a foot control T/M without using a butt seat to prop myself up with. It was kind of weird at first because I'm a klutz, but I did it. It's nice to have the room to move around without the seat/pole in the way. I do use the seat if I'm in a river with heavy current or out in rough waves because there again, I'm pretty much a klutz:huh:.

Steve

Trep,

I'd love to make a trip down to catch some of them big Georgia bass.We may be making a trip to Disney next year,if we do I'll definatly try to stop in for a day on the Nitro.

How long did it take me to work up the nerve??? I guess sometimes having a 15 year old boat has it's advantages.:) I could never do it to a new $20-30,000 rig.

I use the foot control and no butt seat unless I am going to be fighting "Big" waves. I've been in 2 footers and never missed it. It is like riding a bicycle, one you get it, you've got it. Time on deck will give you the balance you need. It was pretty intense the first few times I left the butt seat at home (on purpose) but now I don't take it 99% of the time. It is a crutch. If you never get out in the wind and the waves you will not get the feel. Take it out and lay it in the boat to get used to it, you can always put it back in if you need it. Oh, and by the way, my back feels a lot better without it!! Go figure.

TOXIC

my rig is only 3 weeks old and i'm cuttin the floor!! thanks steve...i'm going to use the composit material (stuff used for building decks)so it don't rot out with some sort of drain so it dont fill with water

jim

DONE !! $30 materials and 2 hours labor(including pull out tools /put away tools and vacuum)

hey how do i post a pic on here!!

Jim - as long as you have the Pic in jpg format on your PC, just go to Members - My Library and select Browse on the bottom right side button to find the Pic on your PC, then after you OK it there, you'll select the Upload button. Then in any post (as long as you are logged into the system) you can select the "select the image from your library" button that looks like a folder below the "Message" space on any post.

Get some pics up Jim.

I told you the hardest part of the project was getting the nerve up to cut the hole.

When I first made mine I just used wood because I was planning on making a bigger deck anyhow. When I make the new deck,I'll try either the composit or aluminum.

Steve

I lean on my seat all day...

I didn't like my buddies recessed control either so I opted to lean.

Turned out nice Jim.

Hopefully you like the recessed pedal as much as I do.

I forgot to tell you the big drawback to it though....If you ever drop a Minnow on the deck while using live bait,they will majically flip down into the hole where you can't get to them.:) every single one of them.:angry:

I shrunk the picture down so it can be seen better. You can just right mouse click on it and "save picture as" to your computer. Then just up load it into your library like you did the other one.

T-pedal.jpg

thanks again steve.

oh now you say something about the minnows. LOL

sorry ;)

I see you kept the hole nice and tight around the pedal. A buddy of mine has one that was installed on his boat and the gap is just too wide. Must be three inches the whole way around it. It was too easy to get your foot snagged between the recess and the pedal. I liked the lower pedal,but not the gap,that's when I decided there had to be a better way.

Latest posts

Back