Fishing with Rob:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
Well I had my fishing day with Rob today, we meant at 0700 at the Chazey River launch and I watched Rob catch 20 bass using a Jig & Pig while I still hadn't caught one. Rob was extremmly patient while I tried this for the second time in my bass fishing career, after about an hour or so Rob decided to start the big motor that he just caught from the shop last night and head out to the open water when the over temp alarm went off on the motor. After shutting it down and reciting some words of wisdom Rob tried the motor again with the same results as the first.. After heading back into the river with the trolling motor Rob continue to explain the art of jig & pig to me and after about another 2 to 3 hours or casting I managed to catch my first bass(Ever) using a jig & pig. It was a nice bass and it made my day, after about another 20 minutes I managed to catch my second bass and this was by far the biggest bass that I have ever caught to date. Rob estimated it was close to 5 pounds. Being these were my largest largemouths to date, I can't begin to express the total respect I have for Rob and his ability to teach someone as novice as myself the jig & pig method. I just wish that Rob's motor hadn't had problems.. We got off the water bye 11:00 I think and with the exception of the motor, this was by and far my best day of bass fishing even though the number of bass weren't there for me(I lost count on the amount Rob threw back) the fact that I caught two largemouth on my second attempt ever with the jig & pig method made this a truly day to remember for myself. I can't thank Rob enough for taking time from his day to fish with another member of the board. Again Rob thanks and I can't wait to do it again on Friday before the rally and I will be bringing my boat as well.. Thanks again Rob for a great day of fishing and having the opportunity to make a new friend...

Fer dryin' out loud, guys..... Quit sayin' all these nice things about Rob..... Next thing you know, just to keep up with Jamey, I'm gonna have to apologize for callin' him a gun-totin'-right-wing-conservative..... Heck, he started it..... Called me a short, bald troll - or sumpthin' to that effect.....

Tell ya what, Rob..... You share your jig 'n pig secrets here on the board - and I'll apologize in advance!

OK..... So, "I apologize." (But you're stil a gun-totin'-right-wing-conservative!)

me!

P.S. Rob, I don't have the slightest idea what the heck Jamey is talking about, but if there was indeed something that you two got upset about - I have got to admire him for coming into this public a forum and apologizing for his part in it.

(And I'd still be willing to bet that you've got a rainbow flag hidden between your mattress and box springs!)

Jamey, give me a shout when you get a chance. Life is too short. Jamey is a good guy and a good friend. But he's right in that we both are very hard headed. It was a joy fishing with Buzz. Thanks again Buzz for the 2 St Croix rods. This guy shows up and hands me $400 worth of rods to donate for the rally! Only on this site I tell ya! Sorry I missed everyone. Buzz and I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to having everyone back for the rally. I would be happy to teach anyone the jig n pig. Jamey knows that it is my first passion. The only thrill bigger than setting the hook on a tank large or smallmouth is helping to teach someone else those techniques and getting them completely sold out on bass fishing. The last 2 weekends with Marke, Mike, and Buzz have been so much fun. I live on this lake and have guided for years. The thrill of catching large numbers of huge bass is great, but has lost some degree of "pizazz". After all it's kind of my job, I get much more joy from seeing the look on someone's face the first time all the pieces come together and they hook the biggest bass of their life and gain the on the water knowledge that they have seen on TV so many times. Hope that made sense. This is why I'm a guide, sure don't do it for the $$$ LOL Ask Buzz, after $4k, I'll be working all of May for free!

Hey Buzz,

I know what your feeling man. I have never caught a fish on a Jig n' pig in my life. Then Rob showed me the way. And just to keep practicing, now I pitch everything (and I'm getting pretty acurate).

Thanks again Rob.

Marke

If I told you Scott, I would have to kill you! LOL, It is something you really have to learn on the water. Now if you were coming to the rally....... anyway, just keep throwing the bait until you stumble across the right way to do it. The fish will tell you everything. Eventually, they will hook themselves and you will begin to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Also, don't wait to FEEL a bite, often you may see it first. Remember lead doesn't swim or suspend. And as I told Jamey, Marke, and Buzz, when in doubt, set the hook real HARD!

A buddy of mine tells a good story he learned at a fishing seminar...A guy in the crowd asked the pro what a bite feels like...The pro responds that he doesn't know what a bite feels like...But, he does know what a "no-bite" feels like...so, if he feels anything other than a "no-bite", he sets the hook!

az

Rob - On the Jig/Pig is it vertical like jigging for walleye? or hopping it like a TX rigged worm?

Trep, it can be either. Deeper water will be more vertical on structure. Mostly I fish it in shallow water, so I'm pitching from a good 20 ft out. The key is accuracy and a delicate entry into the water, which probably takes the most practice. Plus repeated presentations. You can drop that jig next to a log 5 times, but the 6th, from a different angle will get bit. Let the fish tell you what they want. If they are intercepting the bait by the time it barely hits the water, then keep it moving (swim it) or work in a lot, or switch to a topwater. Other times, if you see guys popping the bait a lot, first switch colors and maybe trailers, go from pork to plastic or opposite. Then when your bait hits bottom, DON'T move it, for at least 1-2 minutes. Just let it sit there, the bigger wiser bass will come investigate. As the bait sits, they must figure, "you're not like the other guys that have hooked me, you must be real" Watch if your bait moves at all, but just wait, then move it VERY subtle and hang on. Usually upon it's first motion after 2 minutes, if a bass is there, it will be a savage strike as their are completely sold on the bait. Time with the jig stick in your hands is the only way to put it all together. Good luck

Latest posts

Back