Fishing Mid Winter

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam blatt

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I live near Chicago, IL, I'm thinking about fishing a power plant lake mid Febuary to relieve my cabin fever. It's about 2 hours from my house. My question is with the temp being so low that time of year, will the water thats possibly trapped in the boat or motor freeze on the way home? I don't want to damage anything. What could I do to avoid any issues? I just wanna go fishing. Thanks for the input.

Sam

Just make sure you pull the drain plug on the boat and make sure the motor has been tilited down to let water run out of the lower unit....usually I'll cycle it up and down a couple of times to make sure.

If it's stored outside...I'd tilt the front of the trailer up a little.

Best thing is to back seat in your buddy's boat ... :lol::wacko::lol:. Tee has it right.

Sam, Im from the Chicago area as well. Where are you planning on fishing and where are you from?

i'm thinking of trying clinton lake. i live in manhattan near joliet. its about a 2 hour drive to clinton lake. where u from in illinois?

Another option that I would suggest is Newton or Coffeen power plant lakes. Newton would be closer from where you are. They are approx 1500 acres so if the plants are running the water will be perfect temp for winter fishing. I fish both of them throughout the winter. I have never fished Clinton winter or summer so I have no comment on it's chances. Both Newton and Coffeen are 25 hp limit lakes so you have to use trolling motors only if you have bigger than a 25. You can use your bigger motor to put the boat back on the trailer.

Im in the Plainfield/Joliet area. Would love to make a trek down there sometime as well. Send me a PM with where you fish in the area.

I looked up on map quest and clinton is about 2 hours from me, which isn't too bad. Coffeen and Newton are about 3-3 1/2 hours. I'll probably try Clinton this winter, and coffeen or Newton next winter. Thanks for the help.

Make sure you contact Greg Meyer for info. He knows any lake within 6 hours of Chy Town better than the ducks that swim on them!!:p:lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back