Lowrance x71...no temp reading.

• Thread starter Bob G. [URL]http://www.gpscity.com[/URL] [IMG]http
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
I purchased a Lowrance x71 last December from BPS and finally got it mounted. Got done with the wiring this morning and went fishing this afternoon. It works as expected except for the temp reading. It is always 0.0 degrees F. I turned the temp reading "on" in the menu, but still no temp. Other than the temp, it tracks bottom at WOT. The transducer is mounted on the transom. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure if it is the unit or the transducer.

The x71 doesn't have the resolution that my bow mounted x75 has, but is good enough for cruising across the lake since it tracks bottom. My in-dash Humminbird digital depthfinder loses bottom at around 40mph. Since I have a fish-n-ski, I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to mount the x71 at the console. I ended up using the RAM mount that came with it and then got an extension piece and a connector from www.gpscity.com. They have a wide selection of RAM mounts and accessories that I didn't know existed. I attached some pics.

Bob G.

http://www.gpscity.com
P5300937A.jpg

I backed up the RAM mount with a piece of 5/8ths plywood (8.5" x 8.5") and used 1/4-20 stainless screws/washers/nuts. I had to drill the holes in the RAM base to 1/4". I think they were sized for a #10 screw. Here is the transducer. I think I got this right.

Bob G.
P5300934A.jpg

Well, I was going to ask if you had that little brass thingy in the 'ducer, and you posted a pic, and do. SO, I've got nuffin. I'd suggest pulling the plug out of the back and making sure none of the pins are bent. Otherwise, re-seating the connector is my only thought.

From the angle of the picture, it looks like your transducer might be angled up in the back. I'd actually have that angled down just a little (to read more of where you just were as opposed to where you were a few seconds ago (at WOT)).

You did one thing right... I got my first boat and thought some MORON had put the 'ducer on, so I mounted it "right"... with the oval shaped part (where the temp sensor is) DOWN... man, did I kick up a LOT of water and get no readings :)

Mike,

Pic of transducer might be deceiving cause I took it without looking through the camera. The next click either way puts it out of parallel too much. I can always try a different letter adjustment. I'll check the connection for the sonar for bent pins.

Bob G.

Bob,

The ducer that came with my X-71 is doing the SAME EXACT THING. Some days it works and some days it doesn't. I still have the receipt and may be sending mine back to Lowrance. Or I may just bring the whole unit to BPS and exchange it. Since the ducer came with the unit I have to return EVERYTHING.

Like you said it tracks bottom perfectly and since I have temp on my X-15 I have been procrastinating the exchange of this one.

It's pouring rain out right now so maybe I'll down to BPS today and get it done.

By the way, the install looks great!!! Nice job!

Hey Bob,

I went to BPS today and they were able to exchange just the transducer. It worked perfectly all afternoon. Call 1-800-basspro and see if they'll ship you a new one.

Marke

Marke,

Thanks for the update. I'll give them a call tomorrow night after work. I wonder if they had a bad batch of transducers. Did you go fishing? If so, how'd ya do?

Bob G.

I called Lowrance and they sent me a new transducer immediately. The X71 originally came with model HST-WSX transducer and they sent a HS-WSDX. I installed it this past week and tested it today on the water. Temp works and it still tracks bottom at WOT. The transducer kicked up on me today, so I tightened it a little when I got home. I still have the other transducer that I can use in a pinch without temp. Kudos to Lowrance for great customer service!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back