First time Walleye impressions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I thought I would post my first time Walleye fishing impressions, after our trip to Canada.

Gear:

I had taken two baitcasters and one spinning rig with me. With the baggage snafu, I wound up with just two baitcaster units. Medium to medium/heavy rods. Really did not prove to be a good solution. If using baitcasters, I would now use medium to medium/light rods. If I was fishing this week, I would simply switch to spinning rods for walleyes.

Bait:

Tried minnows, worms and leeches. Got some action off of leeches and worms (as long as I somewhat balled them up on the jigheads with short shank hooks). Best action was on minnows, and size of the minnow did not seem to matter. We bought some bigger minnows, and found that the medium and smaller ones worked just as well. Note: All the minnows we saw in the water were smaller.

Tried many (many) times to catch walleye on gulp baits and powerworm type grubs. Finally caught 1 (one) on a pure artificial. Had pretty good luck using a 3" green/chart grub on a spinner head jighead with a short shank hook - tipped with a minnow.

Bites:

For something as big as a walleye, with that much 'teeth' to eat with, they are bait stealers of the best kind. Really took awhile to figure out the 'light bite' and hooksetting. With those tough mouths, they can steal it and not get hooked, unless you are ready. Took a little while to really figure out I needed to be ON THE BOTTOM for the most part.

Crankbaits:

Used the Rapala Tail Dancer Flash Perch (30' version) to catch one nice Walleye. We really didn't troll for them that much. This was the same lure that caught my big northern.

deeptaildancer.jpg

Also used the Rapala Husky Jerk for quite a few Northern (standard minnow colors).

Just thought I would pass this on, as general info.

Tex

I've spent a lifetime trying to decipher the puzzle... I think another ten years and I'll have some clues...LOL They are tough critters to catch... But they are more than great tasting, so worth the "chase".

The only one I've ever caught was on a 1/4 oz Rattletrap, kind of a yellow/white shad color. Suprised the heck out of me, I didn't even know that the lake (Broken Bow) I was fishing in even had Walleyes stocked there.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back