walleye fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone walleye fish? I fish for bass 99% of the time, here in IL it's around 50 degrees and the bass bite is SLOW. So I think I'm going to try to walleye fish at my sportsmens club. It is a deep 60 feet (some parts are shallow) strip mine with no current. Any tips on what to use? I think I will use a fuzzy grub tipped with a minnow? It is trolling motor only. I have tried to use walleye lures and troll in the past without much luck. Any tips would help. Thanks

Where at in Illinois? I live in Elgin, IL. I have been a tournament walleye firsherman for over 20 years. Still active in a Walleye club in Dekalb, Il. I'd be happy to give you some advice. Just email me with some specific info and I'll respond. Your fuzzy grub idea isn't bad, but the "where" is the big question.

Here's some info that may get you started if you have a map of your lake and a depthfinder
http://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?a=2275

Hi Greg, I didn't know you were from IL. I fish in Farmington which is 20 minutes west of Peoria. Thanks for the article! I sent you an email, the structure I fish isn't rocky, no current and crystal clear. There are a few people at the lake that fish for walleye and seem to do OK.

Used to fish for Walleye alot in North Dakota. Leaches were the prefered bait, with ot of ways to rig them.

Jig head and bounce along the bottom

Use a rig called a bottom walker, weight on a ninty degree wire. Then long line a leach on a floating jig head.

Very slow fishing and the bite is nothing like a bass. You also will lip one only once:)

Some cranks on planer boards and I even used smallish cranks on the bottom walkers.

Good luck

Colder water means minnows. Leeches work best above 55 degrees... And, later like now, Fall, i like the biggest fatheads or even 3-4" chubs or roaches...

Latest posts

Back