First Impression Z-6 Break in

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judgerr

Reaction score
Haven't been on here for awhile. Got the first 2.9 hrs on my Z-6. So far I love it!! The first time I got it up on plane I found out what every one was talking about with the steering problem. I really had to hang on to the wheel. When I got it back on the trailer I moved the trim tab to the right slightly, a notch I guess. Tried it again the next time and it was very much improved. Hardly pulled at all. Was going to leave it, there but, then I thought what if I move it just a little more? So I moved it one more notch. tried it again and I can take my hands off the wheel at 40 mph and she runs straight. I did get the Dual Rack and Pinion steering, maybe that helps? Only opened it up once so far hit 5,000 rpm and approaching 50mph. Then slowed down.

Only problem I have is the boat always goes all the way to the left on the trailer. Goes right tight against the left fender. Only way to get it spaced between the fenders is to wade in and have the wife back it in till I can push it over!

Don't seem to matter what ramp I go to, or which way the wind is blowing. Never had that problem with my old Procraft. Any one know a trick to get it on straight?

Spray your bunk boards with Liquid Rollers or if your cheap like me or can't get liquid rollers, drown them in Tyre Shine. The boat will centre itself as you go onto the front roller and if you want it exact to the 1/6" just push it when up on the trailer and on the water and with sliperry bunks, it moves easy.

Loading is a trial and error exercise. My big heavy 929 REFUSED to float load even on a dead calm day with no wind or current!! I had to power load it. Where I could not power load I had to put the bunks in the water at a certain depth and come in from the lake with a head of steam, which also meant I had to know how much speed I needed to keep from slamming the bow roller. Personally, I never sprayed my bunks. I would just dip them in the water to make sure they were wet. I have heard of some spraying them with cooking spray. Problem with slick bunks is that it works both ways....on AND off!! I don't think that is your answer. Your other option is to slide up on the bunks as far as you can then back in while cranking it up on the roller. The reason yours won't stay centered is that your bunks are too deep. They are designed to center the boat but it has to make contact with them while loading and depending on the angle of the ramp, that usually means they have to be shallow.

TOXIC

Thanks guys! Guess I just need to experiment with how deep the trailer is. It's giving me fits.

Getting up on plane doesn't seem so bad to me. But I am going to remove a plug from the Prop next time. I am home now for a few days so won't be trying it again for awhile.:angry:

I have always found that on most occasions with drive on bunks that if the trailer fenders are 80% submerged then it is approximately the right level to guide on the bunks and hold it to the trailer when you attache the front eye as a rule of thumb.

Randy

I have a z6 and when loading you can just reach down and grab the fender and pull without getting out of the boat .

greg you must really back in far! I can barely move it over when I wade in and put my backinto it! Can'

t imagine moving it without getting out of the boat. Maybe I am just weak!:eek:

I've found that my 2011 Z6 loads on to the trailer a little different every time I come off the lake after a hard day of fishing. Steep ramps, shallow ramps, hard wind, tilted-ramps (I hate those), and wave action all tend to skew the boat to the left or right. The best I can do is to back the trailer into the water, wet all the boards, pull forward until 18 to 24" of the MIDDLE boards are exposed and then slowly "medium power" the boat onto the trailer. Sometimes it's perfect. Sometimes .... not so much.

Every experienced boater knows that loading a boat can be problematic. Most are patient (and even helpful). After a long and tiring day on the water .... how about we watch out for each other and maybe lend a helping hand?

Just a thought.

I've found that my 2011 Z6 loads on to the trailer a little different every time I come off the lake after a hard day of fishing. Steep ramps, shallow ramps, hard wind, tilted-ramps (I hate those), and wave action all tend to skew the boat to the left or right. The best I can do is to back the trailer into the water, wet all the boards, pull forward until 18 to 24" of the MIDDLE bunks are exposed and then slowly "medium power" the boat onto the trailer. Sometimes it's perfect. Sometimes .... not so much.

Every experienced boater knows that loading a boat can be problematic. Most are patient (and even helpful). After a long and tiring day on the water .... how about we watch out for each other and maybe lend a helping hand?

Just a thought.

Hey Judgerr, I just completed the break in period on my new Z-6! Having the same problems with it pulling bad to the right! you said you adjusted your "trim tab" and that helped! Where is the trim tab? Thanks in advance!

On rear of the motor, below your cavatation plate. Just above your prop. It has a hex head nut on top of it you loosen and move your tab left or right. It has notches

Like JW said it looks almost like a little shark fin. If I remember right it took a 5/8 wrench, just loosen the bolt and move it a notch, then try it. Mine took two notches but one may do it for you. Once on plane and trimmed I have no pull at all. The tab is item F on page 39 of your manual! Trim tab adjustment is covered on page 57.

Enjoy your Boat!:)

Latest posts

Back