Finder loosing bottom

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen Webb

Reaction score
Need some help? My hummingbird will work right when I'm at low speeds or still. When I get at about 10 MPH it will jump to 400 feet and above depths. I have adjusted the sensor up and down and it still is happening. The sensor is located on the right side of the boat opposite of the speed odometer. I bought the boat used (2000 P165) and it worked right for about a month. Is it possible that it's located to close to the motor??? Any ideas would help.

Mine did the same. Bought new Eagles, problem solved. You may have to move it further down the water line actually. As you come out of the water, on pad, the ducer, if mounted too far up, will come out of the water and not read correctly. Good luck

Looked at the ducer when running and its still in the water. Had to hang on good...didn't want to have a close water look at. Wife was driving the boat, that should say it all.

Webb - Try moving the transducer down a 1/2 inch or so and try again, I had that problem with mine new from Tracker, it's hard to get the right level until it's on the water. Possible you tapped it with something under the water/trailer and it moved up a hair.

It can be in the water and still not work. You may have bubbles or something from a rivet that is right in front of it. Mine does the same thing and BPS committed to fixing it when I put it in the shop later this summer.

Craig

Thanks for all of the responses. I have to work this weekend but will try the ideas first time out. I'm even looking into a new finder.

Thanks again

webb

Webb,

I'm not familiar with the boat that you have but would bet that it is has an aluminum hull. These are the hardest type of boats to try and get high speed readings on as the hulls have many different projections that produce streams of air bubbles that will cause your sonar to lose it's track on the bottom. Even if is a fiberglass hull the strategy is still the same - you have to get the face of the transducer in 'clean water'. Clean water is water that does not have any air bubbles in it. One suggestion that I didn't see anyone else make was to lower the back part of the transducer slightly (1/8 inch at a time) so that the transducer actually has an upwards angle to it.

Also, what model Humminbird and transducer do you have? The model for the transducer should be printed (in yellow) on the first foot or so of the cable from the connector end.

Best regards,

Greg Walters

Product Test and Calibration Technician

Techsonic Industries, Inc.

(Humminbird)

Hi Greg: I have never tried that, I always did my best to keep the transducer level with the boat. I just figured all the metal in the Tin Rocket was messing up your equipment. Bruce

The last post, by Greg, worked for me! I have a 2002 Pro Deep V 16 and was having the same problems (occasionally) at anything over about 10mph, OR after running at high speed and throttling down to a stop, it would go nuts, showing 400+ foot depth, and showing many, many nonexistent fish too. Each time out I tried tilting it slightly downward at the back or rear end of it, a little more, by loosening that screw, I think it was an "allen" screw, tilting , then retightening, until I was satisfied. I don't know how much it affects the fishfinding readings, but in the usually shallow, water I'm in it probably doesn't change much. It still does the crazy readings on occasion, but far less often than it was doing it before, and when it does, I just shut it off, turn it back on, and it's ok. After reading Greg's suggestion, (thank you Greg) at least now I know what I was trying was ok to try, and wasn't ruining anything. Still a little frustrating that it happens at all though......... Have a good night....... egM

Greg Thanks again. The first adjustment gave me good readings upto 18 mph. So now its time to tinker. Thanks Bruce

Back