exhaust holes in prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

Reaction score
I took the boat out last weekend. I just put on a new Raker 13x20 prop.

It runs great at mid to top end. Great bite and lift. But it's a dog out of the Hole with gear and full livewells.

It already has small exhaust holes behind each blade. About 5/16".

Would bigger holes help getting out of the hole? How big can you go?

Also Will bigger holes affect anything at mid-range or top end?

Thanks all

John

I assume you are talking about the plastic plugs and not actually drilling your prop????

Step up a size or 2 then try them completely removed.

TOXIC

No plugs in a Raker. If I was to inlarge them I would have to drill them.

John

John - Patt G will i'm sure jump in soon, but from what I understand the key is to know what RPM's you're pushing as you are trying to get on plane. I think Patt told me around 3000rpms is what you want the prop spinning to get up quickly. I bought a great shape used prop of ebay with no vent holes and was a dog out of the hole, i drilled 3 5/16 inch holes in the appropriate places and it shoots out of the hole now. The bigger holes will NOT effect top end as one the prop is spinning on plane the water is moving so fast it goes right by the vent holes out the back.

you could drill successively larger holes, a bit at a time, to see where you get to, or you could send your prop to a shop that for around $75 I think will add the Merc PVS style holes and you then buy the plugs to fit your needs.

Glad you are back on the board more and out fishing!!

Trep

Latest posts

Back