engine operation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the boat out for the first time today, it has a 1999 150hp mercury xrt. It didnt seem to idle very well and kept dieing if i didnt give it some throttle. Any ideas on what to check? This is my first boat and I dont really know anything, Im just going by the seat of pants and with trial and error. I also saw that the motor sat awfully low in water and the water would be up the the bottom of the cowl almost when moving, it didnt look right to me. I would bet that the water discharge port was going under water even though I couldnt see it. What should the water level come up to roughly, the boat is a 99 nitro nx882. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

the depth shouldn't be killing it. You may notice air bubbles when it's that low in water. After I installed a jack plate on my Z6, I noticed the same as far as depth and it idles fine plus I can still lower mine about an inch on the jack plate.

also check your fuel. was it old gas in the tank? how does it run as you throttle up and at WOT?

Take it to a shop and have them look it over. Really the best bet if you have no idea or history on the motor.

Thank for the responses, the fuel isnt fresh. I contacted the marina where I have it winterized and "summerized" if thats a word and he said it just needs to be run and to get some fresh fuel in it and it should be ok. As far as depth of water to motor goes I didnt rreally open it up since this is my first boat so Im guessing that when I do that Ill get some lift and the motor/rear of boat will raise some, all with proper trimming of course, does this sound right?

yeah. I personally wouldn't hesitate trying to open her up because it's new to you (motor should be more than broke in). Unless of course being you're not accustom to driving a boat yet. Bringing it in to a shop isn't a bad idea either. Could definitely be bad gas or gas with ethanol had been run through it without fuel treatment. If that's the case you will probably have to replace the fuel lines and probably the filter as well. If you have a way to drain your tank and then put a few gallons of fresh gas in it, I would try that and then bring it to a shop if problem persists.

Just put in the proper amount of seafoam according to ratio and run it. Treat each tank with it. If you aren't sure of how old the fuel lines from tank to engine are, replace them and bulb just to be sure. It's cheap insurance. If you had it winterized and mechanic says it's good to go..........................GO!

If the fuel has gone thru phase separation, no matted what you add, or how much you add it cant be "Un-separated". Drain it all, dispose of it and refill with fresh fuel and add a stabilizer and add the stabilizer each time you fill up, not just when you plan on storing it for a while.

Check (and possibly replace) your fuel priming bulb. If it has pinholes or a leak, you'll get air mixed in with the fuel at idle and it can cause the motor to sputter or die. Happened to me on a 150 XR6.

Latest posts

Back