2021 Nitro Z18 Pro live well ops question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimitz

Reaction score
Hi all:
I purchased a new 2021 Z18 Pro earlier this year and I'm absolutely loving how the boat performs. however, I continue to have one nagging issue - for the life of me I can't seem to understand the livewell ops. just got off the water and had the same thing happen to me that has happened before - namely my livewell fills up - seemingly on its own. see the attached pics for my configuration.

next to the throttle there is a valve which I have in the closed position. I also have the drain plug in the livewell prior to launching the boat. can someone explain to me how things should work? also, as can be seen from the transom pic there is what I assume is the bilge drain w/plug (always in prior to launching), a bulkhead with a screen cap over it which I assume is the livewell intake port (?) and then 2 other ports without any plugs for them.

the very first time I launched I tested the livewell - filling it up, using the recirculating feature and then at haulout, using the pumpout valve to empty it - all worked without issue.

the last couple of trips before today the livewell didn't fill completely with water but about 3" of water filled it by the time the trip was over.

Clearly there are some things I don't understand about how teh system should work ...?

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 33
  • valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 33
OK, I own a 2017 Z-18 and have had no issues with my system.
the large outlet, on top, in your first picture is the livewell drain to prevent you from overfilling the livewell into the boat. Bottom left is the intake with the screen to prevent fouling the intake pump while operating, bottom right is the livewell drain controlled by the valve you picture. you should not need a "plug" in the livewell. The center bottom is the hull drain with the screw in plug to keep water out. Some of us have installed an aftermarket hull drain port controlled by wire with a valve just like the one you show pictured, mounted somewhere in the back splashwell for convenience of not having to go down and under to drain any water.
on the console lower right you have toggle switches labled "recirculate" and "aireate" both will run intermitently or continuous depending on which direction you toggle the switch (push- lower or upper touch). The aireate switch is used to pump water into the livewell- water enters through the screened inlet you have pictured. If you have the pumpout feature on you boat- inside the livewell box of the Starboard side, high in the box, you will see a red valve port- if is pulled out the recirculate switch changes function to pump water out of the livewell on a side drain port. The valve should remain pushed in while in operation to keep fish/water in the livewells. The red valve is used only to pump water out of the livewell.
If you have pumpout set at the valve you should notice a heavy stream of water, after a few seconds, coming of the side of the boat (Starboard side, if I recall correctly)
NOt a lot of water will enter your livewell naturally. I get 3-4 inches maybe with the valve switch open depending on the boat load. the livewell will empty while you are on plane if the valve is open.

In a much earlier post I gave some details about an inexpensive system that I installed in my livewells. It's the best thing I've ever done to improve a livewell.....

There is one thing i can think of if you have the drain valve closed and have not turned on the aerate switch that Larry mentioned. If you come down off plane and slow the boat quickly, a bit of water could come in through the livewell over flow. One way to reduce the chance of this is to give the motor a little gas as the boat settles down to "Out Run" the stern wake or back wash that is created as boat slows down.

Thx! I'll check out that thread. I understand some have installed a check valve so that water can't back flow into the live well when coming off plane or backing up?

There is one thing i can think of if you have the drain valve closed and have not turned on the aerate switch that Larry mentioned. If you come down off plane and slow the boat quickly, a bit of water could come in through the livewell over flow. One way to reduce the chance of this is to give the motor a little gas as the boat settles down to "Out Run" the stern wake or back wash that is created as boat slows down.
great idea, thx!

Latest posts

Back