E-Trex Toast!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plugged in my E-Trex GPS unit into the DC outlet on the

boat today and the DC cigarette adapter somehow broke inside causing the fuse in the boat for the power outlet to blow and the E-Trex unit to FRY!!! Ouch, that's two years worth of hotspots waypoints I can't get back. This stinks... The worst part is the fuse in the adapter never blew!! I know the power outlet fuse is blown because the cell phone charger wouldn't work in it and I know the E-Trex is fried because it won't come up with fresh batteries in it. I don't think it has an internal fuse.

Does any body know:

1. What fuse should I search for in the boat for the power outlet fuse? Its a 640LX and they are not labeled. There are various sizes, including some small ones like 1 and 3 amps. But I would think this would be a bigger fuse like 10 or 15.

2. I know that the Humminbird PRO 128 on this boat (2002 640LX) has a tranducer glued to the hull that only works with a PRO 128. I was thinking about upgrading to a new Humminbird Matrix unit with GPS because I think it at least the unit has the same mounting foot print as on the boat for a PRO 128, you know, the sort of not so rectangular Humminbird mount with 4 screws.

Has anybody tried these new Matrix units, are they any good?

Has anybody glued in a new transducer in the bottom of a 640LX or 700LX?

That bites! I have a matrix 15, and I like it. I haven't gotten the GPS antenae yet, but I like the unit itself. Much better detail then the 128. I kept the 128 on the console, and mounted the matrix on the bow.

Rich D

Maybe if you send it back to the factory they can fix it or atleast retrieve your waypoints.

fatrap

Bill, I feel your pain. My truck was broke into this past weekend down in Salt Lake and my iFinder was stolen. Isurance will cover the loss but all those waypoints are gone. I hope they catch the little punks that stole it but I'm not holding out much hope. Russ

Bill you should send your unit into garmin and see if they can recover the waypoints.

I have a Garmin ETREX and it does not have a DC power input.

Bill-- What e-Trex did you have? Was the DC adapter a "Garmin"?? If it was maybe Garmin will fix / download your way points .

I have the e-Trex Legend-- and backup my waypoints to my PC.

Use Easy GSP( http://www.easygps.com/default.asp ).

I've been thinking of getting the dc adapter myself ?? not to sure now..

Good Luck -- HaleDamage
http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010-10203-00

Hale Damage, I have (had) the eTrex Camo. I do not think the adapter was made by garmin. I think I'll take everyones suggestions and at least call garmin to see about sending it in. Remember how it goes with a PC, make sure you back it up before sending it in. I can just hear the Garmin guy now. I should know better I'm in computers for a living. I was going to buy the PC cable for transfer to PC and just cheezed out on it. I'm sure I could have it for the price of one of those fancy rods I don't use. Live and learn......

Bill,

The Matrix units will use the same mount but different connector holder that the Pro 128 does. The transducer you have in your boat will not work with any of the Matrix units because the Matrix units use a different connector. I checked and we do not sell an adapter cable that will allow you to use the Pro 128 transducer with a Matrix unit.

Greg Walters

Senior QC Technician

Techsonic Industries, Inc.

(Humminbird)

Greg,

I am thinking of getting the GPS antennae for my matrix 15. In the spring, I am planning on replacing the HB128 with another Matrix. Can I use the antennae for both units?

Rich D

Hale,

From what I can tell, the Eagle and Lowrance are more comparable to the Matrix 55 or 65. The 15 does not take the cards and the display is smaller. The GPS is optional. I do like alot of the features, like the real time sonar and the resolution.

Rich D

Hey HaleDamage, I checked the link you provided and that is the adapter I bought. The unit unscrews at the end to access a fuse. What appeared to happen was the thing came "unscrewed" while plugged in. If you get one make sure its screwed in tight when you plug it in. When I checked it out later some plastic pieces fell out when I unscrewed it. It must have broken inside causing a short, but it never blew its own fuse. This is my kind of luck.

Rich D,

All of the Matrix units are GPS capable (the Matrix 55 and Matrix 65 come with a GPS antennae). If you want to connect both Matrix units to the same GPS antennae, this is entirely possible. I can post instructions on how to do so or e-mail them directly to you, whichever is preferable.

You are correct in that only the Matrix 55 and Matrix 65 have and use maps that are built and are augmented by the Navionics Gold maps. The Eagle and Lowrance products would be more comparable to these.

The Real Time Sonar (RTS) feature that you mentioned in the Matrix units is not often understood and in my opinion is under used. This is basically a vertical display flasher plus more. The more is that we show signal strength levels either with grayscale in the

Excellent post Greg,...That's tech support at it's finest...you and Sue D.(Guest) are part of what makes this board so cool....thanks.

Mac

Greg,

Thanks for the response. If you would, please email the instructions to me to hook up 2 matrix units to one gps antennae.

I agree with your comments on the real time sonar. To be honest, my first couple times out, I hated it, and while researching to see if I could turn it off, I read more and understood it. Now I like it, and that feature is one of the main reasons I plan on replacing the 128 with another matrix.

For anyone that has doubts about Huminbirds, definitely check out the Matrix units. They are great units!

Rich D

Thanks Greg-- Great Job--

Next time I go to Cabela's -- I'll check-out the Matrix 55 and 65.

I know the demo programs are not "realworld" stuff-- And some of the sales guys may not know all the goodies about every unit--Hard to get the correct info--

To bad we can't hook up 5 or 6 units and hit the lake to check them out..

Thanks Again -- HaleDamage

Rich D,

I just sent an e-mail to you with the instructions. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Greg Walters

Senior QC Technician

Techsonic Industries, Inc.

(Humminbird)

Got it Greg. Responded as well.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back