Dust cap plug question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

Reaction score
After we got home from our fishing trip I noticed that one of the rubber plugs that go in the dust caps was popping out like it had to much grease behind it.

I popped it out to find that there wasn't to much grease behind it. There was grease in the dust cap but not enough to make the plug swell up like it was.

Could this be a sign of the bearings overheating??

Have any of you ever had this happen?

dust cap.jpg

Is it me...or is it not in there straight ?

The should be pretty close to being flush with the outside.

Only way to tell if the bearing is overheating is to check it on the highway but, I'd go ahead and pull the hub and bearings and redo it all including seals if it hasn't been done in awhile.

Always keep some spare plugs as well.

You can also replace the hub protector that holds the plug as well cheap. I did on mine because both stock ones had some sort of ding in the lip and the plug didn't seat really well.

Thanks TEE.

It is in straight. Just an optical illusion.

Plug went back to normal after I took it out. So I guess I better pull the bearing out and take a look.

I would take all the old grease out and replace the seals at least and leave a lil' room for more grease later when you put about 500 miles on it.

replace with bearing buddies give it a shot of grease each time you pull it out of water and you will never have a bearing problem I havent in 30 years

JD

Feel the hub after a drive and that will tell you pretty quick if your hub is shot. Should be warm to the touch (warmer if on the brake hub) but not so hot you can't keep your hand on it. Mine pooch out after a drive because the grease gets warm and expands forming an air pocket behind the rubber plug.

TOXIC

Thanks everybody.

I was going to pull the hub off tonight when I got home. But it's raining buckets over here tonight.

Go figure, 90deg on over the weekend and today 50deg pouring.

Aint Spring great!!:cool:

Mine will expand also when the grease gets warm. I don't want to argue with JD and Bearing Buddies work very well but I think the EZ Lubes are far better.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back