Taking on water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_C

Reaction score
I've taking on water lately. I have a 2018 Z18 There are no holes or visible cracks in the hull nor is the cap separated(beside I haven't been on rough water that would come that way). After pulling out of the water yesterday, I notice water coming draining from around the plug, even though the plug was securely IN. Possibly the o-rig is bad. But It doesn't seem severe enough to allow the volume of water I am pumping out the bilge.
My concern is possibly some plumbing of the live well gone bad. I never use the livewells therefore I am quite ignorant of how it is plumbed and the interconnections. I noticed my livewell was about 1.3 full of water. I had the plug in the bottom hole so I thought it wasn't supposed to fill with water. I pulled the recirc nozzle and pumped out the live well.( thanks, I learned that "trick" from this forum!) Then it "seemed" after leaving the nozzle pulled, that the rate of water intake in the bilged increased... seemed is a key word.
My question are where are the possible failure points in the livewell plumbing? How can I prevent the livewell from filling with water? Thanks

I had the same problem with my boat right after I bought it last year (1994 190 TF). I didn't notice the problem until my second trip. When I put the boat on the trailer after the 1st trip and removed the drain plug, it took a couple of minutes to drain. Didn't think much of it. But the second trip, I noticed the boat seemed to sit lower. I tied the boat up at our campsite for the night. The next morning I had a hard time pushing the boat away from shore. Then I noticed the boat was really sitting low. I looked in the rear hatch, and water was almost to the top of the batteries. Took a long time pump the water out. There were 2 problems. The live well drain valve would not close completely, and let water into the live well. The live well itself was split from top to bottom, on both sides of the tank, where the divider was. Replaced the valve, cut the divider out, and fixed the tank. All is ok now. Glad I didn't tie up to a dock overnight. I now check the back compartment several times a day now. The boat holds a lot of water that does not drain when on the trailer. Thinking about replacing the bilge pump with an automatic one.

It is very likely, based on what you are reporting, that some of the livewell plumbing, below the water line, is allowing water to to leak in where there is an faulty connection. Have you tried running water into your hull at the back with the plug installed with a hose to see if water leaks out anywhere? That won't relveal every posibility but it's a quick way to eliminating possibilities. At the rear of you boat, nearly all of your plumbing and lines are at or below the water level around the hull. If your boat is like mine, you have a valve swittch below the shift control, that you can set to keep water from entering the livewill, otherwise it will allow waten into the live well but not fill. In the Z-18 you can see everthing that might be leaking if you can start out dry on the water looking into your cavities around fittings and pumps.

Thanks for the tip. I have a 2004 Tracker Targa V16 with the same issue of taking on water. Springtime project will be to fill the bilge and look for leaks. Also mud wasps made a home in my bilge pump outlet hose as well so thats another issue to address. Fun fun fun...

After a bunch of investigating, it appears nearly all the water was coming around the drain plug o-rings.
I put a couple of layers of Teflon tape around the drain plug and that stopped most of the incoming water. Instead of say 20-30 gallons in an hour only about 2 or 3 gallons filled in the same period.

I am still getting water into my livewells that I do not want. Probably coming in thru the same type drain plug. Interestingly, I filled the livewell about half full via a hose then let it sit. It appeared nothing leaked out so the current livewell plug is acting as a one-way valve. If I put the boat on the water the livewell will fill about 1/3 full.

Tim, I think you will find that the livewell switch will not always keep the livewell completly dry, especially in dirty water. Trash will somtimes block the line open a little even with the switch set to closed. That's been the case with mine. even fully open not a large amount of water will enter the livewell without the pump system.

Tim, I think you will find that the livewell switch will not always keep the livewell completly dry, especially in dirty water. Trash will somtimes block the line open a little even with the switch set to closed. That's been the case with mine. even fully open not a large amount of water will enter the livewell without the pump system.
Thanks, Larry
I do not have auto (open/close) switches on my live well. I just have a plug at the bottom.

The main reason I would like it to stay dry is to use them for some storage since I never use them for fish.

On my Z18, the livewell will have water collect in the livewell even when the drain plug is installed. After some investigating, I discovered this was water coming in thru the overflow line when I come off plain. I plan to install a backflow flapper valve on the overflow line to prevent this. It will be an easy install and only costs about $6. I suspect that is how water is getting into your livewell.

Larry ... I totally agree. The reason I wanted to understand the phenomenon is because it did not make sense. To me, if you put a drain plug in the livewell, it should stay dry. Tim had the same questions regarding the livewell that did not make sense to him either. I introduced my learning experience in order to perhaps ease his concerns for that issue.
BTW ... thank you for everything you have done on this forum. I admire your willingness to share your wisdom and experience. You have helped me on my Hummingbird issues recently. Thank you ...
I am new to bass boats. I grew up in Titusville Florida and have had several Flats Boats. Saltwater shallow saltwater fishing boats are obviously different than Bass boats. I transitioned to fresh water about five years ago and have soo much to learn. I am thankful I can learn from folks like you. :)

Thanks CD, I appreciate your kind words! I really enjoy contributing in on this forum and am always glad to share what I think I know. Even so, I have learned a lot from others here who regularly participate.

I ended up installing a 2nd bilge in my boat. The boat came with the standard manual bilge. Mine was taking on water too. I installed an auto bilge running off another battery that I tied my running lights into as well - I do alot of night fishing. I ended up finding out that my boat was taking on water from the livewell drain hose, at the section under the passenger console, which by the way the boat was put together, would literally require me taking the entire floor and consoles off the boat. So problem fixed. Kinda. LOL

Another problem I had with water in bilge was the live well pump itself, it was cracked. It came from the dealer that way. There is no support between thru hull mount intake tube and pump on my Z18. Fixed it myself instead of waiting 4 months to get an appointment at BPS.

I have been trying to read all about the livewell and water that collects in it. I too don't have a shut off switch next to the throttle area on my 2021 Z-18 Pro. I only have the pull out spigot to drain or fill the livewell. I too have water in the livewell all the time. Maybe it does come in from running in reverse or coming off plane. Never looked. I'd like to put plugs in everything on the transom. I don't use the livewell. Do I need to plug all three holes? Intake, overflow and drain holes?
My next concern is that there is water in the tubes and pump. My boat sits on a lift in Eastern TN where it gets below freezing. I plan to fish during the winter. What do I do about the water in the lines and pump? Won't they freeze and bust the system?
Unless I can get the livewell dry by preventing water from entering, it will always be at risk for freezing and bursting. Correct?
I've seen instructions about running RV antifreeze through the system but that only works if no water is getting into the system. They are on a trailer and not using the boat again until spring.
How do people deal with the livewell system winterizing when using the boat during the winter?
I have no idea how to approach this.
Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• Drains.jpg
    Drains.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
My 2022 Z18pro that has less than 100 hours in the water is taking on water. The auto bilge comes on after about 30 minutes on the water. I emptied the live wells but see no plug in them. Is this because no water is supposed to flow in until I turn something on? If so what is it that I need to turn on to get water in and turn off to keep it out. The only switches I see are the aerator and recirculolator. Right now I have the switch/plug at the top of the livewell pulled out and turned up like it was to get the water out when the recirculator was on. Will this keep the water out? Now the big question: how does getting water in the live wells affect water in the rest of the boat…I.e. bilge? Will keeping water out of the live wells keep the boat from taking on water? I don’t see how or why.

I have a 2021 Z19 Sport. Water does flow into the live wells when I back up. Lift the live well hatches and back up the water flow back up thru the drain hose. But should mostly drain back out when you go forward. My boat did come with a live well drain plug.

There should be two or one dials on the side of the cockpit/gunnel wall. That open/close the livewells. When closed some water does still get in livewell but very little. The water from livewell should never enter the bilge, that means ine of your hoses are leaking......

Anyone?

Look for a loose hose clamp, I had the same problem so when I had it in the water inspected all the hose connections and found the leak. Tightened up the hose clamp some more and no more water

Latest posts

Back