Drift socks - anyone?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Mac mentioned them in another post, so I thought I would start a new thread.

When and how do you use drift socks?

Any particular size/brands that you like?

How effective?

Since I have a Targa 18, it gets blown around on the water quite a bit when I just want to drift. Have thought about trying/using one to better control the boat.

Tex

Have used Buzz's and will be getting my own for this spring. Helps take the load off the TM on windy days and slows your drift. Wish Marke and I had one during the rally!

get yourself a pair of 5 gallon oil pails,take the handle off them,cut a 1 1/4" hole in the bottom,and one in both sides where the handles were,tie a rope inbetween the holes with a 1"flat washer on the rope,tie a loop in the middle of the rope,then use a short piece of rope with a hook on it to hook them to the cleats on the bow of the boat.let them drift back to the seat.then tie them off.the 5 gallon buckets work great.with my 90 at idle,i can get down to 1.0mph.with the 8hp i can get it down to .5mph.

i also have a drift sock,it works good also,but only one is sometimes a pain when trolling.drifting it is pretty good,just got to figure where to hook the bag to keep the boat going the way you want it to.i have one for a 19-21 ft boat.sometimes the bigger bag helps in those big winds.

I use one on my pro17.I dont know how I went so long without it.Makes a big difference on the shallow draft boats.I use it alot on the rivers I fish.Throw it out,drop a few jigs and minnies over the side,put up my feet,and open up an ice cold Stoney's.Yeah,now that's fishin'.

While fishing from an aluminum boat in Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping 'cross the plains and then triples in velocity when it hits the lake, I have considered a drift sock many times. My concern is I often fish in the trees and I'm afraid the sock would more a pain in the buttonhole than it would help. I sometimes drop out an 8# mushroom anchor and drag it around but I wonder if I'm not spooking every fish within a mile.

I guess my question is: does the drift sock help or hinder around structure and near the shoreline or is it just for open water?

Harpo

I have never used mine in heavy cover I usually throw a small anchor over a log or loop a piece of rope around it,and I've even been known to run the boat up onto those shallow stumps that are barely under water,then just spin it loose with the trolling motor when it's time to move on.Gotta love that aluminum.

There's a catfish guide on Lake Lavon here in the Dallas area that uses "drift chutes" for drifting main lake points. They work great. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get sunshade fabric. (6' wide), and as long as you want it to be. The 6' turns into "depth", and the length goes from the front cleat to the back cleat (or shorter if you wish). Tie off the two top corners to the cleats, leaving some slack (to raise or lower one end). Next, on the bottom, attach some pipe (heavy is better). You just roll this up over the gunwale around the fabric. This will allow you to drift better. This thing will hold you well. Since it doesn't drag bottom, you don't scare the fish. It won't work AS well for bass fishing if you're trolling the banks, but for drifting points, it's great. I had an 18' Xpress aluminum boat and with a drift sock out, I sped past a ranger with no sock (both were drift fishing). That's when I knew a drift sock wasn't the answer.

Ah...Rob, We WON the Rally...remember?? What the heck would we need a drift sock for? Them bassus love 20mph grubs....LOL

Marke

I got one from Cabela's and it really helps with boat control. I got the smallest size for my 16'. Great for spring walleye!

Rich D

Yeah, Marke but if you'll remember, you got to do most of the fishing while I scrambled all afternoon to keep up where we needed to be! What a pain. And I bet we would have done better if the cell phone had stayed on and we had a drift sock to keep us in the ONE spot with the best "signal"!

I tried that with my socks and it just doesn't seem to slow me at all, no matter how much rope I let out. I wear the one size fits all tube socks.....you think I should go to a bigger size?

Yuk, Yuk...

TOXIC

All I can say about drift socks is that I want one. It's on my Christmas wish-list, right after a new, satisfying, high-paying job for Bruce.

they also work good for fishing crappie on lake flats in the wind. tie a rope to fore and aft cleats on one side(to drift sideways)and tie the sock at midpoint. Keeps the boat from doing crazt 8's and stuff,and tangling multiple lines(especially if your boat has a windsheild/short sail).

Start at the upwind end, tie miniies or jigs to bobbers with stops at predetermined depth, and crack open the beverage of choice.

viola.

Using a drift sock is standard tackle when fishing Lake Erie.

RoyC

I have great success in using drift socks in some situations. I have also used the 5gal bucket and for some situations...especially rivers with floating "trash" the 5gal bucket is better...

Latest posts

Back