Day 4 - Fishing Trout with Rich

• Thread starter Michael Trepper [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~libra
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Ok so the first 2 days of my "Fishing" vacation were blanked. Last night I did get 2 nice Spots while out fishing for Hybrids. This morning Rich and I launched the Tracker in the Chattahoochie River for 6 hours of trout fishing. We SLAYED THEM!!! Best 2 were about 15 inches and fat! 1 Rainbow and 1 Brown. We lost count i'd say between the 2 of us we had well over 20 fish.

It was great to get out with Rich again, and to take him Trout fishing which he'd never done was a pleasure. We probably lost twice as many fish as we brought to the boat, we found that larger trebble hooked lures (best luck for me was with Roostertails) seemed to hook them better. I don't know how THAT MANY fish could get off after being hooked but such is life!

5 more days of fishing till the family comes back. I'm fishing a Pot Tournament on Tuesday night (weather permitting) with a friend in a GASP!!! Ranger!! We'll see how we do!

Trep
rich%20with%20trout.jpg

Here's Rich above with a nice trout.

Did ya eat'em??? I love trout. Sounds like you guys had fun.

I'm due to send Jill and the boys away for a while...LOL

Marke

My wife and daughter decided to have a campout in the forest (I have 5 acres) do you think they'd miss me if I snuck out for some nightime bassin!!??

TOXIC

I'm sleepin in the AC!!

Trep,

Congrats on a good day on the water! Good luck in the Pot Tournament. Nothing wrong with Rangers! I'll fish out of any brand of boat that floats.

Bob G.

OK..... That does it..... Last summer, I came to Georgia to fish with the two of you..... Now, you guys have got to come to Missouri to fish for trout with me down on the current river - from canoes!

And that is a "for real" invite! Any time!

me!

Great job fellas! The "Hooch" is hard to beat with summer fishing in full swing. Those trout have been consistantly awesome with months of heavy current on them. Looks like y'all had a ball! Did you catch any Shoal Bass/Redeyes? We're still jumping topwater schoolers (Spots/Stripers) on the South end, catching good size, but the numbers have dropped off. Up by me there's a real good buzzbait, crankbait, C-rig bite on Largemouth. The Corps has been pulling a bunch of water every evening with most of the fish suspending off the first break because of the dropping lake level. All the rain had been keeping the water up high, but not enough lately to keep up with the power generation. We're almost down to full pool. (Good thing the dock brush pile is always loaded. Gotta keep my boy interested!) Holler if you want to rip and run!

Michael, thanks, that was a lot of fun! The 'Hooch is a great place to fish. Big bonus is that you can stay pretty cool all day long with the nice breeze coming off the cool river water.

Now, I've heard that it gets "hotter than a hootchie-koochie" on that river.... (sorry, I tried to refrain, but couldn't).

Marke - Didn't eat them, i'm not a fan of Trout (WAY too boney for me), and Rich/Jeanne didn't have time to clean that afternoon.

Tox -Go for it, but if it was my wife she'd say "anything you want to do after we go to bed is fine just DON'T COMPLAIN that your tired tomorrow!!!" LOL

me! - Will take you up on that offer, you can bet!

Dan - I hooked what looked like a Shoal Bass but lost it at the boat! All we brought in the boat were Rainbows and browns! Great fight for a thin fish on light tackle!!

Trep

Rich - Sun must have been over my shoulder it came out VERY dark and when I lightened it up with Photo Editor is was very grainy!

LOL!! Michael wears his saltwater/Mark Sosan/Jar Jar Binks hat when he's bass fishing and a BPS hat when he's trout fishing!

Michael, what you gotta do is get yourself a smoker for the trout! No cleaning to speak of - just slit them down the middle, maybe stuff them with wild rice, put them on the smoker for a couple of hours with hickory chips and then FEAST! It's especially good when you get a couple in that 15 to 20" class - you'll feed two people with each fish!

me!

me! Hey, i've been wearing that BPS signature hat from Dan J. all year, have had much better luck so the Jar Jar hat is in the storage locker for now!!! LOL

I don't like having to pick the meat out of the bones on trout, I'm lazy just give me big Fillet's or boneless beerbattered fish fingers!! HMMMM

Trep:

Just curious. Do you not like the TASTE of trout, or do you just not like having to deal with all of the small bones? Or is it a combination of the two?

If it really is just about the bones, boy have I got a suggestion for you.

MO - It's just the BONES! I love the taste and while i'm skinny I don't like having to WAIT to get my food!!! LOL

TOX - They are SLIMY and WIGGLY!!

Get one of these!!

Go to Cabelas.com and do a search for "The Wunder Boner".

MO - I don't think my wife would agree that I need this, yet!!! LOL

Have you actualy TRIED this? $19.99 isn't that much (plus shipping) but that's a bunch of lures or beer!! LOL

Yeah. It does take a certain touch to use it successfully, but once you've got the hang of it, it will strip ALMOST every bone out of the trout's body. The only bones that seem to escape extraction are up at the front (ribs and Y bones), and you can just run your finger around that area and then pull them out with a pair of needlenose pliers.

If you want another way of cooking boneless trout, some folks here in Missouri will filet them just like a bass or crappie. There is always that fine set of "Y" bones that have to be cut out, but these are the bones that cause people the most trouble when eating trout.

Grilling a fileted trout just involves placing the filet on a piece of aluminum foil on the grill over the coals (indirect heat) for twelve to fifteen minutes depending on the size of the filet. Cover the grill and use medium to medium-high heat. On my Weber, I'll put the cover on and leave the vents wide open with the filets dusted in butter, a dash of seasing salt, and thin lemon slices layered over the fish.

There's one other way to cook a trout so that you can eat it without the risk of ingesting bones, but I'd have to teach that one in person. Suffice it to say that its all in the timing. Cook too long and the bones come off the spine. Don't cook it enough and the bones don't separate from the flesh.

A few years ago, a client of mine who lives in Piedmont, Missouri invited me to a "sucker fry". They gigged suckers in the river below Clearwater Lake a few days before and then filed them. Suckers are really boney fish, so they then score the filets about every 3/8 inch, batter them and deep fry them. The oil in the deep fry disolves all the bones!

Some of the sweetest, most tender fish I've ever had! And completely boneless!

me!

Latest posts

Back