Cowling -Wrong HP Number

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Orth

Reaction score
Hey guys. Bob B may be best to answer this question, but perhaps it has happened to you as well? I need to replace a gasket on my motor and have had 2 techs look up my engine serial number to get the part. Both guys let me know that my engine was different HP than what the cowling shows (including Bob - who I trust) Why would this happen. I am sure the serial number did not get transposed in anyway. Cowling says 35 HP. Serial Number yeilds 45 HP.

Nothing beats a Black N Blue Jig

Mike

If it is in fact a 4 cylinder, 2 carb motor, it was called 50, classic 50, 45, and in its last phase, a 40. But.....never a 35. My bet is that the prior owner had a boat rated for 35....or had a lake restriction. ;)

I bought a brand new 75 hp Optimax in December 2010. When the motor came in it had a 90 hp sticker on the cowl. The serial number confirmed it was a 75 hp motor. The dealer had to order the correct decal and replace the original.

Gopreach

Thanks guys!

My grandpa bought the boat in '94 and I am now cleaning it up and selling it for him. Whatever happened to the cowling happend in the first 2 years of its life.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks guys!

My grandpa bought the boat in '94 and I am now cleaning it up and selling it for him. Whatever happened to the cowling happend in the first 2 years of its life.

Thanks again.

Mike

In Illinois we have a number of great bass fishing spots with either 10 or 25 hp limits on motors. I know people who have re-stickered their larger outboard cowlings so they appear to be legal to the quick sight but allow them additional speed to get around the lakes faster than their buddies or local tournament competitors. Some of the older ones will have special carbs put on them to do the same thing. Could be something like this. When I had a sign and graphics business I would periodically get a request for cowling hp numbers sets from people to "replace" their damaged ones.

I've heard of guys trying that with replaced cowling numbers around the Occoquan Reservoir in Northern Virginia (max 10hp reservoir). Except that the VDGIF (game wardens) are on to this trick. They ignore the cowling number and check the manufacturer plate on the engine. The true HP is coded in the motor serial number. Had a warden tell me this while chuckling about how many he's been able to cite (he was just doing a routine license check on me and after that was done we got to chatting). Harder for them to check swapped out carbs!

Latest posts

Back