Project "Black Magick" - 2005 Nitro 929 CDX-SST

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Ruiz

Reaction score
Greetings Folks!

Well let me first say I am glad to have found this website. I would love to say I am a new nitro owner, however my current 929 CDX DC is actually my second nitro. I have upgraded from a 2001 NX 750 w/ 135 opti, only a few months ago. To say I am thrilled with the Nitro look and performance would be an understatment. They are the best practical performing bass boat on the market as far as I am concerned. Of course Bullet, Allison ect are more performance oriented but fishing from them is to say, painful at the best. On a side note, I am 23 and am from Massapequa, New York. I fish several tournament trails such as the NorthEast Team bass, as well as the Wal-Mart BFl, and others. Next year shall be the beginning of the BASS open series. Though in addition to persuing my mission as a tournament pro, I also have another interest. Custom marine. I have actually started my own custom marine business here on the island, (3:13 Motorsports)(yes, dealing mostly with saltwater boats). Full custom marine electronics, Gps, Radar, Sounders, gauges, ect...all the goodies. Custom installs made to order. So to make a story thats getting long, short, you probably noticed the "SST" added to the 929's CDX badging. Well as you may have guessed I am in the process of combining my love of custom performance boats with my love of bass fishing. A "special edition" Nitro 929 CDX with our own "SST" package on it. If you guys are interested I will continue to post as the progress goes along, as well as post pictures as the work gets done but basically ill outline the deal here, just to see what kind of reactions come of it. Of course ideas are most definetly welcomed, even some brutal criticism would be nice :)...makes ya refine a bit. but that said, here goes:

Boat: 2005 929CDX D/C - 2005 225 EFI 3.0 - Dual Axle trailer w/o glass fenders.

Color scheme: Black gel coat / Silver Flake Deck - Silver flake Nitro Swoosh "N" w/ victory red pin strpies - black gel coat bottom (its one of the 9 series "elite" schemes, but the number code escapes me.

SST Package Includes: (ones with dashes are done)

-Nordskog digital readout GPS Speedometer w/ recall switch

-Nordskog digital readout Tachometer w/ recall switch

-Nordskog "Viking" 2 1/16th gauges (trim, volt, h20 pressure, fuel level, hour meter, fuel pressure)

-Flush mounted Trailer JETConnex mounted plug recepticle in swing away neck

-Red Annodized aluminum gauge bezels for all gauges against the silver dash panel) (including a red bezel for the 1440A Flasher)

-Lowrance LMS - 335C DF Sounder/GPS on a "Pro Mount" quick release w/ swivel

-T&H Hotfoot w/ slide bracket

-Stainless Steel custom embosed oil fill

JBL MR-5 marine AM/FM/CD/MP3 head unit (black face)

Polk Audio/Momo MM445 component 4 speaker audio system (w/ high output tweeters)w/ 100W crossovers

JBL Hardwired stereo remote X 2 - one flush mounted up front on the bow, one mounted in the side near the shifter

Full trailer LED lighting w/ amber LED side 15" light bars

StreetGLOW 4 inch red LED light bars under the consoles for effect lighting

2 inch Red StreetGLOW LED lighting in all storage components for effect lighting

Red annodized fire extinguisher bracket (pull pin style)

Chrome stainless gaffrig fire extinguisher

Stainless/ Red annodized knob style gas fill neck

Optima Batteries Red and Blue tops

Custom vyinal decal package featuring all tournament sponsors, as well as 3:13 motorsports livery and custom SST badging

14.25 X 26 SpeedZone SS prop by turning point

JBL 8.80 400 Watt 4 channel amplifier

Bobs Machine Shop 10" "flats jacker" jackplate

Stainless thru-hull fittings (bilge, livewell pumpouts, two large thru hulls by outboard on transom, and below oil filler neck)

Flush mounted "pop up" style cleats w/ red annodized<

If i could afford the boat I'd sure buy it!

I'm too far behind ya. I'm 18 and run a 882. I too want to fish professionally. Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard! Sounds nice you forgot the portable frig, port-o pottie, and Air Conditioning for those hot summer days.

And how much will this dream ride cost, just curious.

Welcome! But the question is, what can you do with tin?!

You need the submersible lights on the hull for night fishing!

Rich D

Glad to see the quick responses! An active board! what a novel concept! Definetly very cool guys.

As for why the 225EFI rather than the 250? Well I look at it this way. A: We wanted to do up a totally factory boat, as in an atypical bass boat. The 250 XS as well as 2.5XS were both options we contemplated but didnt take. Tell ya why. A: the performance was not justified as to the cost. B: I have seen many checkmates, hydrostreams, and other performance boats that have Less motor, outrun boats with more motor because of driver, set up, or a combo of both. Kind of a personal challenge. Also, there are performance mods on the horizion for the motor however being that it is still under warrenty, we cant "f" with it yet. Though since its a 3.0 and the 250 EFI "XB" is a 250..."we have the technology..we CAN make it faster..."

As for what we can do with tin. Its funny you mention that. I live on long island where the use of gas powered boats is outlawed. (No, im not kidding). No gas in freshwater here. So most people have jonboats that are SOUPED to the max. I mean 16 foot tracker utility boats that look like full on bass boats. Most custom built by the owners. We have thought many times how nice it would be to screw with tin. Honestly, we can all arc, mig, and tig weld..so the ideas are limitless. We would love to intitute a project "Heavy Metal" boat one day, but we gotta get our hands on one first.

Also, as far as pimp my bass boat goes...funny comment and its not the first time we've heard it. Honestly, with the way the sport is going im surprised more people havent done it, thought of it, or approached sponsors in regards to it. Bass fishing on a pro level is 50% fishing and 90% a hey guys check me out contest (yes..its a yogi-ism). Why not get some custom manufactures involved. Hey, if you notice at the ramp, most guys tha that have bass boats DO NOT have stock trucks...what makes the two different. (On a related note, at the same time, we have a 2002 Silverado Ex Cab, Short bed in the works that will be done up as a custom tow vehicle to match..though that is a different post for a different board.

Thanks for the feed back guys and keep it coming..pics on the way!

Tight Lines & Fish hard

How about putting a big ol' jet on a pro 17 with a tunnel so it will run in wet grass.I'll send you a doner.......

Post some pics,I'm curious to see this pimped out 929

Steve

Uh Steve - You're Pro 17 does NOT have a Tunnel hull!!! LOL

Motorsports - Dude, what are you messing with FIBERGLASS for man!! Go with Rich and Steve and get you a Avalanche DC with a 175 Opti and CRANK IT UP!!! LOL

On a different note, there have been folks around here known to customize their rides a bit... Let's see I know a certain NTOWS Rally Bass WINNER with a Pro Crappie 175 with...

S.S. Daddy on the back

Boarding ladder

Dual 12 volt Powerpoints

Cellphone/GPS holder

4 rod holders

Guest and Merc Stickers on the hull

Bimini Top

Ski Mirror

Guest on-board charger

Chrome Rims with Spare on trailer

MAN all I need is that 225 EFI and i'm set!!!! LOL

Welcome aboard.
top%20side%20view.JPG

Lets see some pics of this Pimped ride. That sounds totally cool. I am a details kind of person so that stuff is right down my ally.

Welcome to the board and enjoy.

T.S.

Pimp my bass boat, that is priceless!! Sounds like a super cool ride, though.

Carlos

Shoot Ken, I KNOW that I am nto able to afford stuff like that, so I did not even bother :)

Carlos

WE GOT PICS!

I got four pics up so far, they are earlier in the project. The L1440A now has a red bezel around it, and right next to the ignition switch (soon to be a red lighted missle style momentary swtich for nascar style starting), now has two momenty rubber booted toggles switches. They are tell tales for the GPS Speedo and Tach...recalls highest speed and highest RPM on the 3 3/8 displays respectively. I wanna get some night pics of the boat up with the dash all lit up...its lookin sick so far...gotta figure out best way to take the pics tho. On a related note, the stereo is going in tomorow weather permitting...holy five inch hole saws to the spot under the middle seat. Im going to find out if theres at least 3 inches of clearance behind that thing tomorow. I think the livewells are set back further so there should be some room there. Two five and a quarter inch Momo/Polk mid/low component speakers are going in there wheather they like it or not. (note, special thanks to some friends that took the pic of the boat on the water pre tournament...its a pain getting pics of your own boat on the water.

By the way, stop teasing me with the aluminum idea..its making me want to get a friggin aluminum boat and get to work on it...trust me, the tin is tempiting...oh the mods to be made to METAL...you can WELD metal :) *sinister grin*

By the way..cudos to the tracker with the bimini top on it..THAT is hardcore...I like it. By the way, someone mentioned a boarding ladder..I have to get on that idea for my stuff.

let me know what you think of the pics. And on an unrelated note...with all the so called pimping of trucks going on, and their main stream popularity...I think its time we get some boat action in there...as I tell the guys I work with...Icconelli may have done the break dance thing..but...I plan to be the first guy to airbag slam his truck and trailer down in front of the classic weight in stage *grin*

Thanks guys..glad i found this board for sure.

Oh, on a final note...everyone seems to be curious about the budget of this project...we are still compiling, but my best guestimation so far, would be somewhere between 12 and 15K in parts and labor (had we charged ourselves) lol. hell..the audio sytem ran up into the 2K region alone...not that we're proud of that...it would mean if we started this as production concept...we would be selling 55 to 60 thousand dollar bass boats..NOT kosher :)..but hey, if roushe has mustangs, and linginfelter has camaros..we got bass boats!

Veeeeeery interesting, Glass roars back in a big kinda way. Welcome Nick. I've got a PAID FOR 2000 929 that I have debated doing some mods to. I'll wait and see how yours goes and maybe we will talk later (it's either that or buy Mac's boat!!)....C'mon Tom Mac, you know you want to also...LOL!! Keep us posted on progress and performance. Can you imagine a "TOXIC" 929??????LOL

TOXIC

Vey good Toxic you're a mind reader either that or sick minds think alike. I have given some thought about buying Mac's boat when he puts it up for sale . But I am also looking hard at the new Model that Basscat has put out called the Puma

Welcome! And I wanna' see some pic's of that badassbassboat too;)

Looks great! If I ever have a spare 12 - 15k, I will let you go heavy metal on my tin rig!

Rich D

May not go as fast but she sure does look pretty. Now back to that Tin, Lets look at tricking out an Avalanche. Now there would be a project.

Carlos,

I can't either....I was just curious, and after seeing the figure, I really can't!!!

Easy, Pat! Easy!

I'm with you, I'd rather go fast!

I've never been much for bells and whistles and knobs.....

Just give me a steering wheel, gear shift and BIG skinny pedal!

But some people have other priorities!

Heck, most people seldom run full throttle anyway.....

Not even me as much as I like speed.

It's his boat!

I'm glad he's got it the way he likes it!

me!

I think you should do a contest for a giveaway for that boat (LOL) to market your company. Not to mention that would give a kid like me the chance to win a bass boat like that. Im all about the details.

T.S.

Greetings!

Stereo...we HAVE stereo...ok im lying, we have SOME of it in. The nuclear grade thunderstorm that just decended upon Long Island has halted progress today, and it looks like tomorow will see the end of this stage. In went the MM445 tweeters in the sides. One just next to the shifter, and one right before the black plastic on the edge of the passengers console. Also, the crossovers and amp were both mounted in the passenger side storage compartment (under the black bin that goes in. Wires were ran...then the rains came. Oh yes, we also got the JBL deck in place and mounted up real nice. Tomorow...we do the two larger 5" mm445S component mid range bass speakers. Also, file the hardwired remotes under the heading of "stuff to do tomorow".

As far as the speed issues go. This boat will run 71.9 on the GPS speedo. Thats an honest to god number. Is it fast. Yes. Is it retartedly fast, no. If i wanted to go REALLY fast, I would have done one of the following. A: Taken a 2.5 XS and strapped it to a 15 foot hydrostream, whereupon I would have converted the deck to be a bass boat. Im sure 130 would be nice in one of those. Or B: Just went out and hooked up a 300X and been done with it. This deal is not so much about uber-speed as it is experimentation. The angle we're going for here is a show rig. The same idea as a show car. Great looks, trick ideas and concepts and a bunch of stuff not normally seen on this type of boat. Hence, show rig. Thats why all the neon, and such. However, its an idea we have had for some time and so far so good! Oh, and we discovered something rather interesting about 6 months ago. If speed becomes an issue, a good friend of mine owns an Artic Cat dealership who sells artic cat snow mobiles. Incidently we can just take one of the two stage wet Nitrous Oxide kits and rig it to the motor. Yes, it can be done. Sled = 2 cycle EFI Outboard = 2 cycle EFI. Besides...we have all fished as a non boater...60 on the water is FAST..70 borders on very fast..80 and 90 in a bass boat is absurdly fast..100 is suicidal. We have boats ment to go that fast..theyre called Ciggarattes, Hydrostreams, Fountains, ect...:) That said, think back to the last time you had a lead foot boater that didnt know when the current speed was TOO DAMN FAST...nothing like hitting barge wakes at 80...makes ya wanna get up and crack him in the teeth with his seat pedastal. of all the time spent fishing mabye 5% is spent at true full throttle as normally the conditions dont warant it.

That said...more details to fllow hehe...

Im gonna go dry off now as I got blasted with about 3 trillion gallons of rain from my overflowing gutters when rolling away the tool wagon!

Greetings

71 with two people in the boat a pretty decent tackle load and half a tank. I kid you not. In fact I had planned to take GPS Speedo pics of that number for just such instances. Those will be done this following week up on thousand islands. In order to get that boat to do 71, you need to do what every other performance boat does. A: Trim it like crazy, B: ignor the chinewalk, and other nasty side effects of the speed, and C: Get a feel for the overall ride. Remebering of coruse a 225 as well as 250, or even 300 are all absurdly huge motors for these boats. A friend of mine has a 26 boston whaler outrage with only a 175 on it. I will however post speed pics of the GPS speedo (which ieven if you check with the good folks at Nordskog, there is NO way to fudge.

That said, in regards to performance, I do have a question I will post in a separate thread about the way Nitro has the batteries set up, and if those can be moved around to change performance.

Tight Lines fish hard

Latest posts

Back